Money, DX and 5NN

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Feb 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good points indeed W4FS...my 14 yr old grandson was on the computer before he could talk distinctly and he would help himself to any cell phone he could get his hands on.....loooong before he could say "amateur radio"...so I believe it's only natural that he would integrate those tools with ham radio.
    He's trying it all, but I'm especially proud that he has learned CW and he's the air ...with a Straight Key no less!!
    As for me, I'm really enjoying SKCC and hope to find you on the air sometime.

2. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear ya bro. I'll be QRV at the top of the band from now on.

VK5EEE likes this.
  3. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

We'll probably need to spread the word a bit more as it'll be lonely up there for now :D but eventually and especially in contests, it makes good sense I think :)

4. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

VK5EEE likes this.
  5. KN4OK

KN4OK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RR TU ee

6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

BTW, there is only one (1) link and a video in your first post. Not three links.

Second point, any exposure to radio and electronics is good for kids. You never know what will catch their attention and interest. It doesn't have to be CW or designing multiband radios.

Using your logic, kids should never be exposed to any basics. Don't show them frogs...make them experience brain or open heart surgery first thing! Don't show them how pulleys and levers work, make ten year olds do particle physics calculations and assemble Tokomaks. Nah.... ;)

Another BTW, in third grade my school started us with 1.5v dry cells, lamps, buzzers, knife switches, magnets and wire wound on 12d nails. My uncle gave me kits for a motor and galvanometer. Granddad gave me a walkie talkie and a transistor radio. All within about about a year and a half. That's how it starts. The basics.

7. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

KB4QAA DE VK5EEE GM TU OM
    there are 2 links, and the third actually displays in line as the video. So correct is 2 links and 1 video, tnx.
    I've not said (or shouldn't be understood as saying) that exposure to radio and electronics is not good for kids, its that there are more effective ways of exposure than just "any" e.g . comic strips, designed to sell radios and get them on novice license, but no care about RETAINING them into the hobby, and those effective ways are shown in the video.
    So I think you have misunderstood my logic :)
    It DOES start with the basics. I started with a receiver MF, then HF. Then a QRP 27MHz walkie talkie. And so on. I wish I'd been exposed to more electronics and home brewing. So I agree there needs to be exposure, but that the type of exposure now being given is, like most things now, being dictated by financial real intent, ie. more money for national amateur radio societies and radio companies, and that we now need to learn from Russia how to do things. Because over there it is working, over here it isn't. That's my observations thus far, just my observations.
    It's the same with education: little kids dictate to teachers how to teach them and what to teach them, to an increasing degree. Of course kids thus lose respect for their teachers. With amateur radio, we don't need to DUMB IT DOWN when it is already full enough of dumb CB-type channelized operation (even CW operators always seem to tune their VFO onto a .000kHz instead of just finding a clear spot, and SSB operators like to tune their VFO every 5kHz) and button pushing. I'm saying, look at the video and what they're doing there, and why we can't be doing more of the same here. The original spirit and ethics of Amateur Radio were something to be proud of and aspire to, and real human CW is at the heart of it and always will be, so why not at least show a morse key somewhere in the photo -- ahh because it gives the impression of being BACKWARD? But it's not is it, it's the basic communication mode and still the most efficient human mode with even simple equipment. But that doesn't sell the black boxes.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016