Money, DX and 5NN

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Feb 25, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems that raising 6 figure U.S. dollars for "DX expeditions" where 5NN button pushing goes on for a few tens of thousands of QSOs on some remote atoll once every decade, is all cool and the rage, but helping an 88 year old in a real DX location to stay on the air during power cuts and have a better signal, a station that is on the air year after year and thus reaches the same number of QSO with better value than mere "5NN", doesn't get the support from the "DX community".

And meanwhile, if in doubt about the money and psychopaths wrecking Amateur Radio just as they do to everything else, sports, business... look what ICOM and RSGB are sponsoring, the dumbing down of Amateur Radio to bring it down to kids level "PLEASE we're cool, join us, sit an exam you can pass it easy, use a microphone, we're almost as cool as your smart phone" instead of making it something to aspire to as it always was, and the wow-factor of CW being able to talk with your fingers, with a mouthful, while farting and burping without causing any offence, is of course neglected "Oh but we will include some cool smart phone apps you can use to decode morse code too, so you can get in on the fun":

http://rsgb.org/main/get-started-in-amateur-radio/alex-discovers-amateur-radio-2/

Way to go, and until it is recognized that the psychopaths have bullied their way into unlimited contests (not including in any of the rules the frequency limits) and DX expeditions (unlimited unrestricted pile up, wiping out other real DX QSOs in the process is just "collateral damage", this exponential problem is not going to slow down. The best solution for CW OPERATORS (rather than DCW USERS and 5NN button pushers) during such times, is to remember that CW is allowed even by the band plans, not only by license, across the entire band, and to simply use the top end of the band eg on 20m 14340-14350 instead of the bottom end.

When it's wiped out and occupied by the afore-mentioned psychopaths who tell us to find something else to do on the weekend, it's time to start making use of the top end of the band. Remarkably quiet up there, and even clean USB can't go beyond 14347 without risking straying outside the band, while most CW stations can comfortably get pretty close to the edge and fit in a lot more QSO per kHz. For those who have forgotten the obvious: find your actual bandwidth, divide by two, add to the maximum inaccurace of your frequency, and add the minimal increment of your frequency readout, and don't go any closer than that.

Seems RSGB (G), DARC (DL), WIA (VK) are all now peddling this nonsense thinking they can get kids involved in pushing buttons, and that they'll stay in the hobby, when they can get far more out of pushing buttons on a smart phone. Instead of real things that kids love doing, which is what they do in Russia and even publicize it on mainstream TV, look half way through the news at the young kids enjoying the soldering, CW and real amateur radio, rather than button pushing:

K8AI likes this.
  2. K8PRG

K8PRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Put the pills down...and back away form your keyboard...slowly.....

KA0HCP likes this.
  3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Might be time you pursued another hobby. This one has you way too worked up OM.

4. W4FS

W4FS Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I guess you could say that the DX community, ICOM, and the RSGB really pushed your buttons :)

It's all just a hobby.

5. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Bonus points for mentioning farts and burps.

K8AI likes this.
  6. K8PV

K8PV Guest

Not so sure about any psychopaths on HF, but there's pleasure in CW with modern receiver filters. I just tune 'em out.

Instead, I tune in the folks who improve my life by ragchewing, '5nn tu' ing, and challenging me to recover the skills lost by being away from hamming for so long.

Don't lose heart. The silent majority are still here, sending VVV on occasion, and even sending CQ now and then.

KM4OYP likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

There seem to be more and more posts like this. It's supposed to be FUN! If you're finding that you can't stand it anymore, might be time to try something new.

Steve
    KV6O

KM4OYP likes this.
  8. VK5EEE

I'm pleased to see I've pushed the buttons of the Lazy Idiots including those with Extra Class Licenses and Vanity callsigns, but hey, this is a western world forum, and in the west Idiocy and sloth are now King :) :D:D:D

To the rest of the readership, that small minority, who can understand I'm making OBSERVATIONS about the condition and exponential trends of Amateur Radio, while at the same time enjoying the hobby...

Note that not one of the vocal majority of LIDs above made a single comment regarding the actual content of the message which was to take a look at 3 links posted in the original post. :rolleyes:

That of course requires some interest in the subject, to click, and to view, and to assess and learn, not something for those who use this forum as entertainment, either in the verfication of the condition of the modern western "man" behind the computer keyboard, i.e. the above posters and most of those that will follow, or out of boredom.

Ahh yes, Great Modern America... is that video of the Russian kids so upsetting as it really rubs it in eh? That future of Amateur Radio alive and well that in time past was America while now this is the future of Amateur Radio in the western world:
    [​IMG]
    HI HI HI way to go! Speaks volumes... comics for school age to retired :p

K8AI likes this.
  9. W4FS

W4FS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm 17 and honestly I'd much rather be soldering, working CW as the Russian kids were doing in the video. However based on speaking with other hams my age or folks my age interested in radio, there is much more interest in the integration of internet, smartphones, computers with ham radio. ICOM and other groups are just trying to appeal to the majority groups which apparently is not interested in the activities portrayed in the Russian video. This growth in people who are interested in new technologies (Smartphone-Radio Integration, Computer CW, etc.) is only natural. New stuff comes out and people get excited about new things. That's what's great about amateur radio, there's so many different ways you can enjoy it whether it be soldering together a kit, operating CW, or integrating smartphone apps with amateur radio. I realize you don't like how these groups are trying to attract youth but hey, if it's increasing the number of licensed youth, which I reckon it is, considering ICOM is still posting these sorts of ads, then I'd say it's a positive thing. As Bob Dylan once said, "The Times They Are-A Changin". Then again Mr. Dylan was a "western man" so that probably doesn't mean much to you based on your comments ;)

KP4SX, K8AI, K8PRG and 3 others like this.
  10. VK5EEE

Great post W4FS, thank you! That's the quality of post that shows you are the real type of amateur who will keep our hobby alive well into the future, and extra class call at your age says it all! I love the fact too you are a CW operator, you will know the pleasure it gives, as does say playing an instrument to a musician, or cycling to a cyclist, hard to explain to anyone who hasn't experienced it. Yes indeed ICOM is a business and is appealing to the market which is a you described, in the west, it is very different from the east, where perhaps in some areas the Internet etc haven't penetrated as deeply and with such speeds and also there is a social aspect to life (clubs, community interaction) unlike the west where any adult going anywhere near a kid needs all kinds of security, check-boxes, legal documents, protocols, gloves, helmets, luminous safety vests and other modern hindrances. I indeed like Dylan, but he was not from the Modern West, perhaps. I do think attracting youth such as yourself, of your quality, to amateur radio, is what it is all about, not about dumbing it down so that the lazy slobs who are cut off from reality by constant interaction with a smart phone 24/7 are brought in to do the same with amateur radio and miss out on what it is all about, such a wide, varied and great hobby as you have described it. We need people like you, and I don't think you'd be attraced to amateur radio by a brochure that shows 20 microphones and walkie talkies in 20 photos, without a single soldering iron, home brew project OR a single morse key. Surely the ability to communicate with one's fingers, using simple equipment, that is completely self sufficient of grid power, internet and telecommunications infrastructure, around the world, with the pleasure from the ART of CW is the wow-factor of Amateur Radio and not the pushing of buttons on black boxes that cannot be repaired, let alone understood fully how they work. Thanks again for your great post that puts the other posters above, who were surely in some cases 4 times your age, to great shame! Just hope you are able to bring in more peers of your age. By the way, have a read of these if you are interested in CW: http://www.vkcw.net/cwtoday and especially print off (and send a QSL card as it is QSL-ware to the author Carlo, IK0IYG): http://www.qsl.net/i/ik0ygj/enu/ it will give you great insight into "Zen and the Art of Radiotelegraphy" i.e. how to become a high speed CW operator in short time, and thoroughly enjoy the mode. Kudos!