Modulated CW over FM: a Call to Arms

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by M0FEU, Dec 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. M0FEU

M0FEU Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have detailed instructions I'm afraid. Do you have a mic jack wiring diagram for the FT60R? It should be possible to work out which is your audio ring and which your PTT from that and connect them to the right output from the Picokeyer. It might be best to try on a cheap Baofeng first to check you have the general concept right before hooking up to your best rig.
    Just goes to prove the logic behind including MCW in all handhelds as standard; the Picokeyer is good, but different rigs need to be wired differently and, in some cases, a resistor added. That, in turn, requires information: information that can be hard to find!
    Cheers
    Matt

2. W1JFH

W1JFH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I don't think it's going to exactly be "plug and play." I'm slowly tracking it down though. Using a Yaesu ct 44 adaptor, plugging the audio output from the keyer into the mic/ptt using a 2.5mm stereo adaptor I'm able to broadcast a tone, but it's faint. I may have to jump a capacitor as the instructions suggest to increase volume. Next, when everything's plugged in, the ptt sticks on. Maybe a bad connector or adaptor there? Anyway I'm farther along than I was a couple of days ago. Diagrams I've found do include a resistor and a capacitor, so I may have to include these somehow. I'm a little surprised, what with all the ft60's out there, that somebody hasn't come up with the perfect formula. I don't build kits, repair, or even solder as of now. Maybe this will be a good excuse to start...