Modern radios

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N2DTS, Nov 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, the pace of high speed ADC development doesn't come close to that of processors. The ADC used in the Icom IC-7300 and IC-7610 (the LTC2208) was introduced in 2005. The ADC used in the Flex radios (the AD9467) was introduced in 2010. It has about 1.4 dB more dynamic range than the LTC2208.

2. W7KNX

W7KNX Ham Member QRZ Page

My TEN TEC Orion II generates a very nice asymmetrical AM signal at 25w of carrier and about 8kc wide and has beautiful receive with a 9kc bandwidth. I can use it with the TEN TEC Titan amp to run about 375 watts of carrier. If I have to operate AM with a magic device that is my first choice. I have accumulated enough real radios (boat anchors) and broadcast transmitters now that it is never necessary any more.

Jeff W7KNX

WA3VJB and K3XR like this.
  3. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7300 can be made to sound very good on AM. You just have to use a processor with the 528E to add speech compression in AM mode. My bro KK4TVR has good punchy audio.

KV6O likes this.
  4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought the 528 was a processor.

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I would say a homebrew class-E transmitter with a pulse-width series modulator.
    To stay affordable and attainable for the average ham, some kind of SDR receiver
    whether homebrew, kit or commercially-built.

K5UJ likes this.
  8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree. I guess the closest thing being sold commercially is those K7DYY rigs, but I think Class E would be preferable.

9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I suppose the K7DYY rig (80 and 40 meters) and a good sdr would be very nice, but maybe boring for me.
    Sure would clean up the shack though!

10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Arrived late yesterday afternoon. Need to get audio, scope, etc. hooked up.
    Also, I have had very good results using the Ten Tec Orion II on AM with a solid state amp.
    DSC02946.JPG DSC02947.JPG

WD4IGX and W1TRY like this.