ad: Anwtowers-1

Modems, codes, and the future of Digital Voice: 2017 DCC on HamRadioNow

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Oct 19, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. NK9Y

NK9Y Subscriber QRZ Page

As I hit the keys tonight, someone from around the Clinton, Iowa area is running WIRES-X on 146.550. Don't know who it is, because after a month of listening to his crappy voice re-transmissions on Fusion, he has NEVER identified. All I know is when using 55 simplex with friends on analog FM, he fires up, and we must QRT. Most of those Fusion signals from around the world, make Steven Hawking's voice a pleasure to listen to. Right now somebody with a PB2 callsign on the screen is chatting. Good thing his call is on the screen, because I would never be able to figure it out just by listening to his Fusion signal. As far as your claim that "voice quality is pretty crappy no matter what mode we use". Have you ever listened to someone on SSB, who is running an old school Shure 444, through a Kenwood TS-830? When/ if you do, you will know where I am coming from.

W2THC, N3MLB and K2WH like this.
  2. N0KEW

N0KEW Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear you man. To clarify, I think fusion is a fun mode and I’ve come to enjoy playing with it. I have heard some decent audio here and there but most of us just wanna talk about whatever and have our voices understood at the other end. It’s a hobby and all that.

NK9Y likes this.
  3. KE0EBP

KE0EBP Ham Member QRZ Page

One not so small nit to otherwise good reporting. I'm Deaf and would love to see ALL videos and visual podcasts here captioned.

It's the 21st century, lets get some equal access so all Hams can take part.

Tom (KE0EBP)

KQ6XA likes this.
  4. KB9MWR

KB9MWR Ham Member QRZ Page

The papers that accompany the talks are at TAPR.org: http://www.tapr.org/pub_dcc.html

5. K2WH

K2WH Have a Happy Thanksgiving Day Holiday Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I went out last year and bought a Yaesu FTM-400xd fusion radio.

Nice looking but hey, where are the GD fusion repeaters in my area? A total of ONE (1).

So, I went out and got me one of those USB thingies that connects to the internet and other repeaters. Well, fun for about 10 minutes, sold the FTM-400xd and tossed the USB thingie in the garbage.

No one has explained to me or given me a valid, arguable reason for going to digital voice vs analog. No one.

Are we doing it just because we can? Some things don't need to be done just because we can.

I'm done with digital, it sounds like crap. although fusion with it Wide 12.5khz sounds better than all the others.

The population of digital voice users is small compared to analog and I'm in the NYC area !

Its a desert out there.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    W2THC likes this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If the user on 146.550 is not identifying, its due to someone porting digital fusion to analog or else you would not hear him on analog. Fusion like D-star puts the ID in the data stream and shows up on digital radios. Still a good idea to voice ID anyway, who ever is "retransmitting" that fusion to analog better have their CW or voice ID settings turned on or they are running an illegal auxiliary station. FWI, Wires-x software for such retransmissions builds the ID process into their software , seems someone shut them off?

7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Regulation by BandWidth" ? Sounds like a progressive idea to me, like more taxes , hi hi . We do not need more regulation, and like noted not for only 10% of users. I notice D-Star DV voice on HR uses SSB allocations.

8. NK9Y

NK9Y Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your input. I do have a Fusion rig, so I can hear both analog, as well as digital. I do see identification of the stations who are in QSO, but no ID from the person relaying the transmissions from the internet to simplex via Wires-x. In the past month of listening for an ID of the pirate on 55, have heard many Fusion signals from around the world. None are of the quality that most of us would enjoy listening to for very long. Yet daily, people are "patting each other on the back", about their excellent audio. And therein holds the basis of my overall complaint.

W2THC and K2WH like this.
  9. G1ZRN

G1ZRN Ham Member QRZ Page

"but actually compliments Kenwood for introducing a radio that is actually compatible with at least one other line of radios (ICOM/D-STAR).

The THD74 is NOT the first DSTAR radio sold by Kenwood, it is the first DSTAR radio that Kenwood have sold outside of Japan.

Mike G1ZRN
    (DSTAR since 2007)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    AA8GK likes this.
  10. VE7DXW

VE7DXW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you want to use digital voice use your cellphone.....!!!

W2THC, NK9Y and K2WH like this.