Mobile yet stationary

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KG0DB, May 6, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG0DB

KG0DB Ham Member QRZ Page

I need a recommendation for an HF antenna (10-75 meters) that can be used in conjunction with my fifth wheel travel trailer. I camp primarily in the desert and a vertical is probably a "must". I don't want to mount it to the coach, but rather mount it independent of the coach. Would simple wire radials suffice? Being in the fifth wheel barefoot is the extent of power being utilized.

2. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used a Hustler tri band vertical mounted to the roof rack. I ran a ground wire from the bottom of the ladder using a hose clamp to the sewer bumper. It worked but not the best antenna. :)

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You'd do well with just a few radials, about 8-9 of the right length. So it's not overly complex and can be done quickly.
    The thing that's hard to do is to keep folks from getting tangled in them. Staples (lawn type) may be suitable and reuseable.
    Depends on where in the desert you're camping.
    A Hustler 6BTV is a low cost and good antenna. May take a bit to get the sections tuned. An antenna analyzer comes in handy but isn't entirely necessary.
    Pull the antenna up with two non-conductive guy lines and walk the third guy out and drive it in the ground. Simple stakes work fine and they are easy to remove.
    Other than that, it'll work well.

Hope this helps
    Gary

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  4. KH6TL

KH6TL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was camp host in Tonto National forest for two years. While there I used a G5RV antenna strung from tree to tree. I used a
    sling shot to get the support cords over the highest branches. A MFJ antenna tuner completed the installation. Using a power output of 100 watts it worked amazingly well on most bands.

N6QIC and W4RGA like this.
  5. W4RGA

W4RGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you buy the g5rv or make it? how was it up ? flat or inverted v ? or how ? what tuner ? im a full time RVer and looking to put up something. Thanks.

6. VA7JPM

VA7JPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an Alpha Ezmilitary portable vertical while traveling and it works great, I mount it on a pole about 10ft from the rig. An antenna tuner is required but I have been able to work all bands with surprising range. Longest on JT65 mode was 10,500 km.

KR5OG likes this.
  7. NM1I

NM1I Ham Member QRZ Page

how about a Shakespeare 393 marine hf antenns ? comes in 3 pieces about 22 ft total length with a small auto tuner at base tunes 80 thru 10. stick a 18 inch screwdriver in grnd ,works well , been running on for 6 yrs Butch NM1I

K6CLS likes this.
  8. NM1I

NM1I Ham Member QRZ Page

forgot to add, mounted on rear ladder with flag pole buddy mounts. make a slick installation up in 10 mins or less.

9. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

have pole on rear ladder when set up 15 ft put up dipole as inverted v too tent peggs and some string 100 watts 706 icom and 300 watt tuner works well does most bands and get go comments from around .ve3ddl-5 in texas

10. AF7XT

AF7XT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have access to my cad here but I'll try to explain .

With RF transparent telescoping tube (fiberglass in this case) what you do is get the largest diameter you can and work your way down .
    http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-tube-rod.htm#pricelist
    In this case 2 1/2" . Then refer to the "sample kits"
    http://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-guide.htm
    The next size down is 2 1/4" . Cut several rings of the 2 1/4" for bushings and seal support . It works like this . At the top of the 2 1/2" section insert three rings of 2 1/4" leaving enough room between them for a commercial square "O" ring . Do a bit of sluthing on
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=13s4y4u
    or
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=13s4yta
    I found the "X" profile to work best with irregular surfaces and the 1/32" inch interference to provide a good seal without a great amount of friction/stiction.
    Now you have two internal "O" rings and a bushing at the top of the 2 1/2" base section . Repeat this at the base of the 2" second section making three more rings from the 2 1/4" and gluing them to the 2" section leaving room for the same size "O" ring you used on the top of the 2 1/2" section !

Repeat the process as far as you can and you have a radome that can contain anything you can stuff inside . You can easily get to 40' plus in 6 sections .

Modify a small piston compressor to apply pressure . Turn it around to apply vacuum . Store vacuum as well as pressure in small tanks . This has the added benefit of a vacuum source for de-soldering as well as air pressure for blowing the crud everywhere .

The hybrid . With a non-conductive base and metal follow on sections you can make a tuned vertical at any of the common magic lengths . The same practice applies . Skip one size on the way down for bushing and seal support all the way to 1/4" if you think you can get it to work . I found that 3/4" is the practical lower limit . Some sort of electrical continuity will have to be maintained section to section. A simple replaceable brass or copper , sprung , feeler strip is probably okay for all but kilowatt operation .

As far as tuning a 31' or 43' vertical ? SG-230 , manual , rotary switched loading or tuner of your choice . As far as stuffing the radome goes , you are a resourceful experimenter with some imagination or you wouldn't have read this far . (hint Nitinaol or Beryllium Copper)

Hope it helps .