mobile rfi

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KA1BSZ, Nov 29, 2017.

?

how many of you operate MOBILE DIGITAL psk,olivia,ft8,rtty,etc? and how often?

1. evrey day

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. some times when traveling to and from work

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a RFI problem. I operate hf mobile. I use a kenwood ts 440s and a tarheel antenna. When I'm on 75 and 20 meter phone and when I increase the power ( mic gain ) everyone reports to me that I have RFI on my signal.I have tried low pass filters, torrides,line isolators,ground wires, differant coxa's, and everything I have tried, nothing works. HELP!!!

2. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

IF all you are doing is turning up the mic gain, you aren't increasing power.
    What you are doing is overdriving the mic and distorting the mic imput.
    Looking at a pic of the radio the mic gain and carrier ( power ) are on the same dual pot knob.
    Leave the inner knob as is, turn up the outer ring.

Matt

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The TS440s "Carrier" Knob has no function when in the SSB mode, it affects the output on CW and FM.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure your mike cable and connector are actually making solid chassis ground contact at the radio (through the connector).

I've seen these get loose (inside) and the ground connection becomes broken -- if that happens, all sorts of bad stuff occurs.

5. KC2KTH

KC2KTH Ham Member QRZ Page

What are the chances that it's not actually RFI but background noise that is being picked up when you turn up the mic gain?