Mobile Radio recommendations

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N4QFY, Jun 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

After however many years I've been licensed I'm finally getting tired of the low power from my cheap baofeng HT. I'm not really interested in mobile HF but if I could get a dual band (2m, 70cm) or a triband (6m, 2m, 70cm) I live in the mountains so my line of sight is extremely limited everywhere I go. I can hear the active repeaters for both 2m and 70cm but I can't hit them without my diy sat yagi and some walking around to find a path that works. I did have a 1/4wl antenna mounted to my Jeep but that didn't help.

Right now I'm driving an 07 Saturn Aura so space is a concern. I would like at least 50w. I've been out of work with the corona stuff so lower cost and decent is great. I will save up if I have to but my $20 baofeng is still working as well as it ever did and it's nearing 10 years old so I know cheap can work.

I've never had a radio with 6m so that would be a lovely bonus. My HF is a 160m to 10m and my 2 HTs are 2m and 2m/70cm.

2. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The least expensive 2m/70cm mobile of reasonable quality of which I am aware is the Yaesu FTM-7250 at ~$200.

I am unaware of any decent multiband FM transceiver that includes 6m. Also, to get the most of out 6m, you really want the ability do SSB and CW as well.

I have owned one cheap mobile. It was a TYT that did 10m, 6m, 2m, and 70cm. The finals burnt up on the first hot summer day. Cheap can work passably well at 5w. At 50w, cheap can utterly fail.

3. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Yaesu 8900R does 2M, 6M, 10M and 70cm FM. The chassis can be mounted separately and the control head is tiny. They show up for sale on here occasionally.

Mine is in the trunk with the control head in the center console, with a tri-band antenna on the trunk - 10M not needed.