Mobile Questions

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KG4HNY, Dec 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KG4HNY

KG4HNY Ham Member QRZ Page

I never do that, probably never will.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess you don't park anywhere someone will simply steal the panel, then follow the wire and steal the radio.:eek:

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's a Jeep. If they want the radio, it's gone, and there's really not much you're going to do to prevent it. They're not going to not see the radio and only see the panel. At least, not in my Jeep.

4. KG4HNY

Yep. Even with the top on and the doors locked, the windows just zip out...

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Only half my doors lock, and the locks probably don't work because I never use them!

Supposedly the window zippers are on the outside simply to deter thieves from cutting the windows with a pocket knife.

6. KG4HNY

Update

I installed my radio, faceplate, external speaker, mic, and antenna. I can't get below 1.6-7 SWR with a 20m or 40m hamstick. I guess there is a safety for high SWR built into the radio that cuts out transmission of every other word. Now begins the bonding process. Will that possibly fix my SWR problems?

7. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of things:

1. Every mobile install is a compromise. The fact that your driving a Wrangler means you'll have to compromise more than somebody who drives a mini-van. Whatever you do, you may never get good mobile performance.

2. 1.6 to a 1.7 SWR is not a bad SWR and you should not be "cutting out", you have something else going on. That said, SWR means little. It can only indicate that you have a problem, or not. If your under 2.0 or even 2.5 be happy. Your antenna still may not be radiating but, you won't be harming your radio.

I'd stop worrying about your antenna until you find out what is wrong that is causing your radio to "break-up". Does it cut out on RX, or just TX? Does it Power off? What exactly do you mean by "radio that cuts out transmission of every other word."?

8. KG4HNY

It seems to me that there is a safety built into the radio to stop transmission at high swr. I am only having the problem on transmission. Receive works well.

When using SSB, the SWR warning shows on the radio display when I am speaking the most stressed syllables of words... I'm told it sounds as if the radio doesn't transmit every other word. That's what leads me to believe the radio is activating some sort of safety when a certain transmit power is reached.

The voltmeter on the radio shows 13.6-14 volts. I don't think it's a power problem. The radio doesn't dim, doesn't turn off.

Knowing this, should I focus troubleshooting somewhere other than the antenna?

9. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

The rig will reduce power at high SWR levels but wont "Stop Transmitting". SWR at 1.6 to 1.7 is not optimum but is certainly not high (It is the norm around here). The radio should not be reducing power. I do have an idea of one possible cause. Have you, or a previous owner, gone into the "Super Secret Hidden Service Menu" and fooled with any of those settings? This is a common practice performed by all of the "Super Cool Golden Screwdriver Wizards". Also, are you using an outboard SWR meter and not relying on the meter in the radio?

Have you connected the rig to a Dummy Load?

10. KG4HNY

The radio is new. I have not played with any settings. What could be wrong there?

My SWR numbers came from two separate meters.

I do not have access to a dummy load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.