Mobile question

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K4VUQ, Feb 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had that happen. The DX station stopped the pile-up and asked what radio and antenna I was using. When he finished and we signed the pile-up intensity went up a notch since everyone thinks...."If a mobile can do I can do it!" 8^)

John WD5IKX

2. W7STM

W7STM Ham Member QRZ Page

I always use mobile especially when working DX. I'll time the pile up and key into the pile up end in mobile. The DX station only hears mobile but I get the stand by when they ask for the mobile station. Works quite often does help out small signals for the contact.

3. KD4YSH

KD4YSH Ham Member QRZ Page

It is nice to ID your station when calling and also Id your station if you have a negative contact. When you Id you let others you are on freq or complete with your Qso.

4. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't say "for ID". ;-)

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I normally just say "This is KA9JLM". Don't say that, Use your call. lol

It is also a good idea to ask if the frequency is in use.

Have Fun.

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When mobile, I ALWAYS identify as "mobile" on fone or "/m" on Morse. It sometimes helps when DXing or contesting. Yes, I've done both (using both modes) while mobile.

7. AF5SX

AF5SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with everyone here. Especially when conditions are not so good.
    there have been many times the Net control (on MMSN, 14.300) has stopped to chat and ask what my system consists of (FT847D, ATAS 120A, in a 2015 386 Peterbilt). When I tell them this, they often say it's hard to believe a mobile is hitting them with that strong a signal from California to the coast of North Carolina.

On another occasion, I was in Okla. City, same truck, but with my FT450D and an Alpha Moto antenna, QSO'd OK2RZ in Czech Republic. So, adding "mobile" when you are mobile, does help.

8. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

if mobile DX will grab me over others sometimes
    you're at a disadvantage mobile any way you slice it
    however listen to where the station is coping, is he copying the first or last station etc
    I feel that a large diameter mobile (bugcatcher) is best for that skin effect since we need all the help we can get

9. KJ6NWU

KJ6NWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I identify as mobile to let others know I am on the road. I may fade, I may have to pause when driving comes first, and I will eventually get to where I am going and say 73.

KE0RG likes this.
  10. K8INA

K8INA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same is true of "Bicycle Mobile", "Kayak Mobile", "Pedestrian Mobile", and "Motorcycle Mobile".... boosts my KX3 by at least a KW