Mobile question

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K4VUQ, Feb 18, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When mobile, I ALWAYS identify as "mobile" on fone or "/m" on Morse. It sometimes helps when DXing or contesting. Yes, I've done both (using both modes) while mobile.

2. AF5SX

AF5SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with everyone here. Especially when conditions are not so good.
    there have been many times the Net control (on MMSN, 14.300) has stopped to chat and ask what my system consists of (FT847D, ATAS 120A, in a 2015 386 Peterbilt). When I tell them this, they often say it's hard to believe a mobile is hitting them with that strong a signal from California to the coast of North Carolina.

On another occasion, I was in Okla. City, same truck, but with my FT450D and an Alpha Moto antenna, QSO'd OK2RZ in Czech Republic. So, adding "mobile" when you are mobile, does help.

3. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

if mobile DX will grab me over others sometimes
    you're at a disadvantage mobile any way you slice it
    however listen to where the station is coping, is he copying the first or last station etc
    I feel that a large diameter mobile (bugcatcher) is best for that skin effect since we need all the help we can get

4. KJ6NWU

KJ6NWU Ham Member QRZ Page

I identify as mobile to let others know I am on the road. I may fade, I may have to pause when driving comes first, and I will eventually get to where I am going and say 73.

KE0RG likes this.
  5. K8INA

K8INA Ham Member QRZ Page

Same is true of "Bicycle Mobile", "Kayak Mobile", "Pedestrian Mobile", and "Motorcycle Mobile".... boosts my KX3 by at least a KW

6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use mobile on VHF / UHF FM - so people know why the signal may be flaky or on nets mobiles are given preference as they
    not be available for the entire net. I also identify if I am on the HT / Portable. I identify as ' Equestrian Mobile ' when I am using my HT on horseback - I have a lot of fun with that one !

7. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

I have seen horse icons (Equestrian Mobile) on APRS in Oklahoma!