ad: k1jek

Mobile power - Champion 75531i

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by K9CPE, Jun 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K9CPE

K9CPE Ham Member QRZ Page

I currently own a Honda EU2000i generator but am considering upgrading power to 30A so I can run the a/c in my RV. I'm unsure whether to buy the companion generator for the Honda or a purchase a replacement single generator that delivers 30A. Some of the newer generators look quite attractive from a cost perspective buy I'm concerned about RFI - the Honda seems exceptionally quiet in this regard.

One unit I'm considering is the Champion 75531i - does anyone have an experience with this unit that can comment in its suitability ? Or any other suggestions for units I should look at.

thanks
    K9CPE - Paul.

2. KK7EL

KK7EL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Honda is the gold standard in small generators. A 4 to 5 Kw genny will be heavy while two EU2000i are not hard to carry one at a time. You own one so second one will be about $1000 including paralleling kit. What is cost of Champion?

3. K9CPE

K9CPE Ham Member QRZ Page

A new champion is about $700 - A new Honda companion is bout $1200 :)

4. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just bought a 5500 yamaha. its not an inverter type but one thing to consider is how much run time will you get from 2 small inverters in parallel vs a larger unit and how much grief to fill 2 units with gas. You can parallel smaller champions too. I saw lots of blogs, examples, etc from campers that run 2 inverters from the p/u truck tailgate. Another thought is how close will your running or starting wattage be to your max wattage, I like a good amount of head room.
    Personally if you can afford the larger unit - wallet and space wise , I'd go for it, you might just have some other things to power you didnt think of, or perhaps it could be used at home for those pesky pwr outages. Theres lots of sites or generator forums that have some pretty smart folks.
    I dont know about warranty in the US but up here we would buy a champion from a big box store. Champion repair is pretty far from me > 1hr drive on the 401 autobahn, the stores and warranty info dictates that you are responsible to ship it back. Well with all the extra shipping charges like dangerous goods etc, thats too much hassle for me, so up here the Honda and Yamaha dealers are the warranty/repair shop. Thats why I bought the yamaha. I thought about honda until I went to 2 different dealers. The arrogance they displayed turned me right off. yamaha also makes inverter series as well. My gen looks pretty hefty and in my application for pump back up, I've installed it into a small shed & almost have an auto start built, but as I was looking for info on some parts, I discovered that a few parts are the same as has been used for some time on their bikes. I'm sure honda does the same
    anyway good luck on yours, I'm impressed with the yamaha generators and especially with their dealers . yamaha is a bit lower price than honda as well but quality made

73's Bob

K9CPE likes this.
  5. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

We have the Champion #100396 3400W dual fuel and use it all the time. No RFI issues.
    No mechanical problems after 2 years of use and it easily starts our 15K AC unit. ~600 hours on the gen.

K1JFJ and K9CPE like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Ham Member QRZ Page

I run the Champion #100396 3400W dual fuel too, pulls my 15000 BTU air conditioner no problem and I like the ability to run it on LP gas

K7WFM likes this.
  7. K1JFJ

K1JFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Chalk another up for the Champion dual fuel.
    Very happy with mine.

K0UO likes this.
  8. AB2M

AB2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the 3100 and liked it a lot - and it did indeed run the AC on my TT. I recently sold it and got the duel fuel - after Irma came through Florida it was tough finding gas - but those Blue Rhino propane tanks were everywhere!

I modified the supply line to run off the TT's low pressure outlet and it works like a champ. Of course, I also kept the regulator available to run off the bottles - and got two extra 30lb'ers in case I need to run longer term during a power outage.

9. K0UO

K0UO Ham Member QRZ Page

More information I was recently looking at mine and it does have an FCC RFI type acceptance stamp on it as well, which is very important.
    Inverter generators can be very noisy and some of the cheaper ones out there are terrible