ad: wmr-1

mobile operation

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W5HV, Jun 11, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5HV

W5HV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have A kenwood 450sat and high sierra motorized ant.
    for mobile operation.
    it works like cazy from 10 to 20 meters the problem is
    when i get on 40 stations are very weak and i guess im
    not getting out because no one hears me.
    any help would be apprceated
    thanks w5hv

2. KD2UHF

KD2UHF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the antenna meant for 40?

3. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

How's it mounted and how are things grounded? My High Sierra has worked very well for me. Proper grounding and bonding of hatches and hoods where necessary is more than half the battle.

KD2UHF likes this.
  4. W5HV

W5HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea i didnt mention that its on a solid metal tow bar bolted staight to the frame

5. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd ensure very good conduction from the antenna mount to the frame, then run a broad grounding strap straight up from the base of the antenna to the nearest point on the body. If there's a hatch or tailgate, it should be attached at all four corners to the rest of body. I use wide braid with quick fast-on type connection at the open end of the hatch/gate so I can open it. I do the same for the hood in front. The rig should be ground to the body and have a hefty ground wire that runs to the same point the battery connects to the body.

6. W5HV

W5HV Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks for the tip I will definitely give that a try

7. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Read this and abide by it.
    http://www.k0bg.com/bonding.html

8. W5HV

W5HV Ham Member QRZ Page

its a 1996 toyota so i googled it turns out its sheet metal but sounds like the grounding is the
    problem. the ant is a high sierra which i found other hams work 40 with it all the time
    to answer another question thanks for the input

9. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You need to go Bond crazy on it. Panels to frame and exhaust. The mo the betta. Use a quality tinned flat braid and connectors. I used over twenty feet doing mine. Time consuming but worth it. Being an old vehicle you should wire brush and grease the connections and fasteners. Star washers are your friend but go stainless steel.