ad: w5yi

Mobile Operating from 2019 Honda Accord with many band options

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KG1JSJ, Nov 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KG1JSJ

KG1JSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m looking for the best radio to add to my vehicle for emergency communication. My primary concern is being able to establish communication should I have a vehicle break down in a remote area where cell service is not available. Secondly, I would like to use my equipment to provide emcomm in my local area should the need arise. I am somewhat agoraphobic so having the most means of likely communications is my primary concern. My current set-up includes:

A) CB radio (still the most active band I’ve found)

B) 10-12 meter radio (never been used)

C) Yaesu FTM-400XDR 144/430MJz

The primary features I consider important are:

GPS reporting

Greatest access to local help in any given area, be that hams or police agencies.

Greatest TX band availability

Works with auto adjustable antenna like Yaesu ATAS-120A

The radios I am currently considering are:

Yaesu FT-857D

Yaesu FT-897D

Yaesu FT-450D

Yaesu FT-991D

I would also be interested in adding FRS/GMRS/MURS receive / transit capability to this stack as well to help increase my comm abilities.

My vehicle is a 2019 Honda Accord sedan so antenna roof mount space is somewhat limited.

If I’m just dreaming a pipe dream please let me know. As I stated my sole goal is to have the maximum communications options available in the event of a cell phone failure. Cost is not that big of an option. To give you an example, my cell carrier is T-Mobile. When I find it necessary to travel beyond my small town I always carry pre-paid phones through AT&T and Verizon as backups. The ability to communicate immediately when traveling will be key to my mental health.

I don’t consider power drain to be an issue as I plan to install a second battery in the trunk to power the radios / antenna(s) with its own charging ability.

I’m also wondering if there is a pedestal stand capable of mounting to the floor of my vehicle in the passenger area and being able to support all these radios.

If anyone has any knowledge / experience in these areas, please voice your opinions / assistance. It would be greatly appreciated and may allow a vet with PTSD / agoraphobia to leave his local area for the first time in many years.

For those of you questioning my access to these numerous bands, I currently hold a technician license (KG1JSJ) and am finally working on upgrading.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide. It will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  2. KG1JSJ

KG1JSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on my limited understanding combined with what I’m trying to achieve, it seems the Yaesu FTD-897D may have the most transmit capability even though the 144 and 430 are duplicated based upon what’s already in my stack. Not really an issue for me.

Yaesu FT857D

Tx 50, 144, 430 MHz

Yaesu FT-897D

Tx HF (80,60,40,30,20,17,15,12,10)50, 144, 430

Yaesu FT-450D

Tx HF (80,60,40,30,20,17,15,12,10)50

Yaesu FT-991D

Tx 1.8 MHz - 54 MHz, 144 MHz - 148 MHz, 430 MHz - 450 MHz