Mobile Net Operations

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N4TIM, Mar 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. N4TIM

N4TIM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted to offer a polite suggestion since I operate exclusively as a mobile station due to not having a fixed base station operation at all. So far, I check in on several nets during the day and/or evening; but, I have noticed that as a mobile station, I often get swamped by the "Kilowatt Kowboys" on their base operations overwhelming my tiny signal. However, one net; South Cars; a day net on 40 meters, does take a moment during general check ins to ask for mobile or QRP stations to check in. So, generally, I can make it in under those net management conditions. Other nets, it is far more difficult to squeeze a word in edgewise given the fixed based operator traffic. So, why can't we establish a net protocol whereby all nets take a moment to call for and listen for mobile and QRP stations? Just a thought.

N4TIM

NX6ED likes this.
  2. K8INA

K8INA Subscriber QRZ Page

As a QRP only station, I second that motion.......

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Last time I listened nets like ECARS on 40 they do the same thing have mixed thoughts about a QRP station being entitled to special recognition seems to me that's a matter of choice on the part of the station running low power where the mobile station has built in limitations antenna etc.

4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Noontime net asks for QRP stations. I believe the RV service net does as well.

VE7JBT likes this.
  5. K0PIR

K0PIR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YL System asks for mobiles.

6. KZ9HMR

KZ9HMR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear what you are saying and I agree completely, as I am a QRP phone operator and all of my gear is portable and it is usually not set up the same way each time I am in operation. On the other hand I have to operate on what I call the "fishing principle" and reconcile myself to the fact that some times you catchem and sometimes you don't. As far as the Kilowat Cowboys, if they want to let me in for a chit chat, I am up for it! If not, to bad for them. Some of the best QSO's that I have had have been distant and weak signals that have to be deciphered and repeated to get the message through. And that is real radio work!

7. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

yes the rv net does that

8. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes and no . . .

As a mobile operator on HF, I understand what you are saying . . . and appreciate your frustration.

But as someone who is often on the other side . . in a net amongst good strong signals . . . it can be almost annoying when a weak signal calls in !

For a start, half the people on the net won't copy them (due to most domestic high noise levels these days in "normal" QTHs) . . .

And for those running QRP, or with inadequate aerials, it's not MY fault that they're putting out a poor signal . . . so why should I strain? Just because they are receiving me well, some people seem to think I will copy them well !

The point is that it's EASY to put out a weak signal . . . it takes a lot more effort to put out a strong signal (and not just down to power)

All I'm saying is that I don't think anyone operating QRP Portable or Mobile should EXPECT people with good signals to make allowances for them. (and I certainly don't when I'm mobile)

Roger G3YRO

9. NM9K

NM9K Ham Member QRZ Page

We could solve this by just ignoring HF nets. I don't even know what dinosaur of ham radio they are supposed to keep alive, but their purpose has long since been eliminated, if there ever was one in the first place.

10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually people who like to have a decent and interesting conversation . . .

Rather than just the pointless 60 second "rubber stamp" QSO !

And it's a Net because there are several stations in the QSO, all part of that conversation.

Roger G3YRO