Mobile install, 2020 Toyota Camry ?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N1KK, Feb 28, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. N1KK

N1KK Ham Member QRZ Page

Would there be any websites I could get some helpful tips for installing a HF and VHF/UHF antenna plus
    radio.

I want to get some known working ideas to run D.C. power from the battery to the front as well as back
    to trunk on this new car. I have had several HF/VHF/UHF install stalls over the years but this new
    car, well its just to new right now to make a mistake.

Thanks
    Ken
    N1KK

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

K0BG's website is the bible for mobile operations

3. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

Last year, I bought a 2017 Camry.

not an easy one to find..

I've been running / installing my HF mobile since 1993, but could not find a good route through the firewall on this car.

I called an old local car audio shop. He understood completely and for $65 ran the 8 gauge red/black that I supplied from the battery to the trunk. ( 8ga because this rig draws about 40amps)

I was happy with the price, and felt better when the owner who's been doing this for 25 years said he had trouble finding a route also, and used a plugged hole where the manual transmission stuff would go.

I added the fuses, near the battery, and installed my 200 watt Kenwood TS-480HX and old FT7900 in the trunk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have built lots of police cars, fire trucks, EMS rigs of all sorts. One tool we used in the radio shop I worked in is a return spring for a Briggs and Stratton pull start. It is a metal ban, this is the perfect snake for cars, trucks /every type of transportation. It makes it easy to drill a MNO in the center of the roof and run the coax without having to drop the head liner. or to snake wires through a hole in the firewall. They are cheap to buy and last forever. there’s a special way you have to connect your coax or the wire you’re snaking through the car to this wire snake. If someone wants to know how to do that let me know and I’ll shoot a small video.