Mobile Install - 2007 Dodge Ram - Pics

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by W5GX, Dec 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed an FT-7100 in my truck last year. So far, I think it has been very functional and don't have any big issues. I may use screws in the trim, but so far I'm waiting until I fine tune locations.

20180719_135811.jpg

The mount for the control head is PVC, painted black. With various 90s and 45s, it follows the seat bracket pretty well. The speaker is mounted on the factory bracket with 3M double stick tape.

20181220_093542.jpg

I heated up the bottom end with a heat gun to flatten in out, then drilled a hole to use the seat bolt. My seat bolt was too short, so I used a grade 10.8 metric stud with a couple nuts - one to hold the seat, the other for the mount. A hose clamp adds some support, and does quite well.

20181220_093520.jpg

The top of the mount has a 1/4" nut epoxied inside a 45 elbow, and I fashioned a rough swivel with some angles and soldered some nuts on.

The coupler is used only so I could remove the control head without having to fumble with the cable at the head. Purely optional. :p

20180320_141425.jpg

I used a microphone holder with 3M double stick tape on the trim.

20181220_093635.jpg

The main unit sits in the factory bracket, but I used 3/4" aluminum square tubing to raise it up. In this particular location, the front of the unit is too close to the carpet, blocking air flow below and helping to catch dirt, etc. Some stainless steel screws hold it down. The cable is ABR 240UF.

20180719_140044.jpg

The antenna is mounted on a stainless plate from an OPEK stake pocket antenna mount. Stainless hardware holds it to the bed. The rail cap is still stuck well to the rail, otherwise I would fit it underneath. I gave it just a little bend to make the mount horizontal, and use a UHF barrel connector with NMO adapter.

I used braided cable to bond the hood, bed, and exhaust to the cab as well.

All in all, I'm very satisfied. The few things I want to improve on:

1. Mount speaker in middle of my dash board (Dodge has an open spot for a radio speaker).
    2. Use a Breedlove NMO/UHF antenna mount.
    3. Bond antenna bracket to body better.

AA7QQ likes this.
  2. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've revamped where the control head is mounted. Bit the bullet and drilled holes in the trim! Argh! Oh, well. Three little holes on the underside of the panel. Not too bad.

20190817_113514.jpg

20190817_113526.jpg

KC9ONY likes this.
  3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ingenuity at its best. And out of reach of the airbags too!

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Somewhere on the Zed I've have some pics on my 2004 Ram install (maybe here in Mobile Radio Systems). I have more room in front of the cup holder so I could mount my gooseneck straight down on the tranny hump for my 3 control heads. I have toolboxes on both sides so I could't do a mount like yours but I did manage to drill 5 holes in my roof!

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Much appreciated from you!

6. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

The automatic left a bit more room to work with - I assume you have an automatic. I thought about the roof, but a few things had to give. With this setup, compared to a simple 1/4 wave, it may have become a wash. :p