Mobile HF set up

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K7OYZ, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2CSI

W2CSI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sorry to say I just looked up K7OYZ, up on QRZ and is list him as a silent key as of Oct. 2017.

2. N1KWW

N1KWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember Al, do not remember call or last name worked CW from his rig. Lived in Ma. 35-40WPM mobile.

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes very sad that he is now a silent key. This thread should probably be locked to respect his passing.

4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

How about we leave the thread open so folks can respect him with their condolences?

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't know the guy so I will just move on. Merry Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  6. K0SDZ

K0SDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets keep it open in memory of K7OYZ and continue the subject matter with good ideas in his honor! And we can perhaps learn something from each other.

Conditions are not great these days but stateside contacts are easy to make on 20 meter mobile. Also lots of nets if you care to participate...a good way to get to know some guys. Every few days I also manage to work Europe or South America.

I have an inexpensive (20.00) Hamstick antenna magnetically mounted in the middle of the roof of my mini-van with a tripod mag-mount. The steel roof serves as a fairly decent ground plane and it gets the antenna up and in the clear to radiate RF. I bump low-hanging branches but who cares. It unscrews quickly for occasional parking ramp access. The body of the vehicle will absorb most of the RF energy if you use a bumper mount.

The rig doesn't have to be anything special...lots of used gear is fine to start with. 50-100 watts is adequate. You can spend big bux later when you have enough experience to know what you want. More important than hi-tech bells/whistles are basic practical considerations... be sure you get a rig with a display bright enough to be visible in bright sunlight and in the dark. Also be sure to find a rig with an automatic antenna tuner because mobile antennas tend to be very "narrow" so they need some help to keep your rig happy. The reality is that, even at best, HF mobile is an exercise in compromise, loss and inefficiency and we rely on the "magic" of HF propagation. But try not to make it worse than necessary.

Have fun! Bill/K0SDZ

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019