Mobile HF set up

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by K7OYZ, Jul 25, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W2CSI

W2CSI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am sorry to say I just looked up K7OYZ, up on QRZ and is list him as a silent key as of Oct. 2017.

2. N1KWW

N1KWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember Al, do not remember call or last name worked CW from his rig. Lived in Ma. 35-40WPM mobile.

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes very sad that he is now a silent key. This thread should probably be locked to respect his passing.

4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How about we leave the thread open so folks can respect him with their condolences?

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't know the guy so I will just move on. Merry Christmas.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  6. K0SDZ

K0SDZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets keep it open in memory of K7OYZ and continue the subject matter with good ideas in his honor! And we can perhaps learn something from each other.

Conditions are not great these days but stateside contacts are easy to make on 20 meter mobile. Also lots of nets if you care to participate...a good way to get to know some guys. Every few days I also manage to work Europe or South America.

I have an inexpensive (20.00) Hamstick antenna magnetically mounted in the middle of the roof of my mini-van with a tripod mag-mount. The steel roof serves as a fairly decent ground plane and it gets the antenna up and in the clear to radiate RF. I bump low-hanging branches but who cares. It unscrews quickly for occasional parking ramp access. The body of the vehicle will absorb most of the RF energy if you use a bumper mount.

The rig doesn't have to be anything special...lots of used gear is fine to start with. 50-100 watts is adequate. You can spend big bux later when you have enough experience to know what you want. More important than hi-tech bells/whistles are basic practical considerations... be sure you get a rig with a display bright enough to be visible in bright sunlight and in the dark. Also be sure to find a rig with an automatic antenna tuner because mobile antennas tend to be very "narrow" so they need some help to keep your rig happy. The reality is that, even at best, HF mobile is an exercise in compromise, loss and inefficiency and we rely on the "magic" of HF propagation. But try not to make it worse than necessary.

Have fun! Bill/K0SDZ

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. WB9QLR

WB9QLR Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't been active on mobile HF for a while, but the rig is within easy reach in my storeroom and the triple-magmount antenna is hanging in the garage. Could be up and running in 15 minutes. Haven't tried the radio in the commuter car - it has only a 10A aux plug so might not be a good platform.

Great memories of running 20M and 40M mobile over the years.

Mark / WB9QLR

8. N7DSX

N7DSX Ham Member QRZ Page

While researching mobile HF, I came across this post and followed the pages til about 3 before I looked up K7OYZ's call. I wondered why he hadn't responded for awhile and found what W2CSI found. I didn't want to end it there, so I looked him up and found his obituary. It appears that he lived a good and helpful life and made it all the way to Extra before passing. The obit says that was how he did things, all in!!
    Rest In Peace
    Michael Cole - K7OYZ

MICHAEL WESLEY H. COLE
    April 21, 1953 ~ October 23, 2017

Michael Wesley H. Cole, 64, of Polson, MT, died unexpectedly on Monday, October 23, 2017 at St. Joseph Medical Center in Polson. Born in E. St. Louis, IL, Michael moved to Chehalis, WA at age 7.
    He attended Washington State University where he met his wife, Paula, and later earned his Masters at Portland State University. He and Paula lived in Pullman, WA, Kellogg, ID, Vancouver, WA, and Camas, WA. The final move was to Big Arm, MT in 2007.
    Michael has raised two fine sons and loved his family life full of activities. As a masterful educator, he helped raise a multitude of children of all stages and abilities. Michael's major goal was to help his students feel successful. One of his gifts was for family, friends, students, and co-workers to feel loved and important. His gentleness, laughter, and love of fun will be missed.
    Michael would throw himself into his interests with passion. They included Cowboy Action Shooting, USPSA, 3-gun, Range Officer, breeding and showing cats, woodworking, musical instrument lessons, Moose member, and recently amateur ham radio.
    His survivors include his wife, Paula; sons, Ian and Pierce; sister, LaDonna Hansen and her husband Ron; brother, Jim Cole and his wife Arloa; uncle, Noel Cole; aunt, Fern Schneider; and numerous cousins, nieces, nephews, grandnieces and grandnephews.
    There will be a Celebration of Life for Michael at Vancouver Moose Lodge, Vancouver, WA, Saturday, November 4th from 3-5 p.m.
    The Lake Funeral Home, Polson, MT is assisting with Michael's arrangements.
    Messages of condolence may be expressed to the family online at www.thelakefuneralhomeandcremation.com and www.columbian.com/obits.

https://obits.columbian.com/obituaries/Columbian/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=187122133

9. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's an op that's never gotten tired of HF. Counting my mobile ops with CAP, I've had an HF mobile for 52 years. I'm sure people would get tired of swapping the rig(s) in and out. Most of us accumulate more "toys" as the years go by. When I first started checking into the CAP nets in the 60's, I had a cumbersome AM transceiver (mil. surplus) that weighed a "ton" (figuratively). Since I lived in a mobile home, I wasn't allowed to erect a dipole, so I installed a 75M Master Mobile antenna on the Chevy and ran coax in via the front door. Later on, I got hold of an old Lettine 240 and installed it in the car along with an AM converter for the car radio. Powered the thing with a 630 volt dynamotor. It'd dim the :pheadlights FOR you when you keyed it! And don't leave it on without the motor running: it would flat the battery in 30 minutes! A lot has changed since circa 1969!

Today and yesterday have been warm--almost spring-like. I had some free time and I wanted to get started on the install of MY mobile.
    Its an Icom 706 MKIIG. The antenna is a full-sized screwdriver. I suppose you could say it IS a lot of trouble, but I don't mind. There's the antennas, the fuse blocks, chasing power wires across in FRONT of the radiator to stay AWAY from the truck's engine computer, running coax from the rear + chasing the power wires TO the screwdriver, finding a path INTO the cab, patiently chasing wires so they will be hidden and not scattered about the floor of the truck. All this takes time, and I am not as agile as I used to be @ 71; I don't get under the truck as well as I once did. I CAN do it, just slower!:rolleyes: To ME, its worth the time and trouble, and to each his own! Even the slightly sore shoulder from lying on my side running wires underneath and "fishing" cables!;)

N2PQW and WD5IKX like this.