ad: QSKLLC-1

Mobile HF: band for ragchew?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB1CKT, Mar 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been out of radio for a bit (again), and I'm thinking about mobile HF, as that is when I have time. I do the usual commute, so 7-8am EST and 5-6 EST. But 2m has been kinda dead around here.

Do people do much chewing of the fat today on HF? I'm not sure I want to deal with logging, as keeping up with QSL cards kinda got to me on the last surge of radio interest (CW on HF, that is).

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Out here on the west coast there is a group on seventy five that has some mobile check ins, the group is like ours a general rag chew group. We even have a station who is mobile that checks in on his way to work on Saturdays.
    It wouldn't surprise me to find out there are similar groups on forty or even twenty meters.

3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

it depends on how far U need to contact 40M is ideal for around ca and into AZ & UTah, NV evem COfor going across the country 20M is good for midwest to East Coast depending on time of day

4. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Dunno how far; I'm guessing I'll be limited by antenna, power and GND. My commuter is a small car.

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The member of our weekend rag chew group runs 500W and uses a screwdriver antenna, he is Reno, I am in SanDiego and have a reasonably good copy on him here.

I would also point out he runs a hundred watts on sixty meters and is usually but not always hearable here

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I have found 40 to be pretty reliably active from sunup to way past sundown---so your commute hours should be covered

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

17m or 40m

8. KD5TXX

KD5TXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I second 17 m. Best bet for non net mobile rag chewing.

9. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't hear much on 17M that early, but maybe my setup. I would vote for 40M. I did mobile CW for couple years and I could always find a QSO on 40M. The other bands had peaks and periods of nothing.

10. N2ADV

N2ADV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had some REALLY good rag chews on 17 meters while mobile. I talked with one guy for almost 2 hours when I was driving from Central NY to Rhode Island.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.