ad: Stlouis-1

Mobile HF and which antenna

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by WD8G, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WD8G

WD8G Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello, I was looking into putting a mobile HF in my company car, I was at a Radio store and the saleman told me that it would be a 8 or 9 foot antenna. That probably would not look good on my company car, are there any other choices. I like to operate 40 meters and I practically live in my car traveling. Any ideas is appreciated..

73 WD8G

2. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Start here.

www.k0bg.com

Alan has lots of Mobile info ... you don't want a mag mount to start with.

3. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Small antennas = HORRIBLE performance. I run the Icom IC-7000 with the AH-4 autotuner feeding a Hustler mobile antenna. I can operate on any band from 40 through 6 using a 20 meter resonator -- and use the 40m resonator only when I am operating "mostly" on 40. The "Backpacker" antenna or a "Hamstick" would also work -- but not nearly as well.

In my case, the radio and the tuner are in the trunk, on a COMMON ground.

My suggestion is to get a Hustler, cut and screw together the mast so that you can fit it in the trunk (unless you have a trunk that will take a 4 foot mast, when folded), and use a low-profile 3/8-24 mount. You MUST have a good ground.

The AH-4 is a TRUE Antenna Tuner. (In other words, it MATCHES the ANTENNA to the feedline -- instead of "flattening" the network of feedline + antenna.) Any "tuner" that is inside a radio is NOT a tuner -- it is truly a "line flattener", and is highly inefficient.

4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used the Hustler with three resonators ( 40, 20, 15) and it seemed to work as well as any other mobile antenna.

5. KC8HEF

KC8HEF Ham Member QRZ Page

hey are there any thing for 75meters

6. NI7I

NI7I Guest

check out HI Q. The HI Q antennas are similar to screw driver antennas but better than most and, of course
    a bit spendy. I dont think you can find a better mobile/multi band antenna. No tuner/coupler required.

Lee

7. W8WLC

W8WLC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. KD9ILL

KD9ILL Ham Member QRZ Page

My husband "K9ILL" runs a Wilson (FGT-2) 11 meter antenna on his 18 wheeler with a 1.1.1 swr on 20 meters and with a tuner, also works 15 and 17 meters. The Wilson FGT-2 is only 2 feet tall and comes with a 3 inch whip. Remove the 3 inch whip and replace it with a 40 inch whip and prune it down to resonance on 20 meters. You should wind up with about a 34 to 37 inch whip to get 1.1.1 swr on 20 meters. You'll wind up with about a 5' antenna and talk nationwide. 73...KD9CFJ

G0RCN likes this.
  9. WB5YIW

WB5YIW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a modified cb antenna as well. A company called Truck Spec markets one called Terminatior II. Its ugly but a remarkably good antenna. Has great broad band characteristics and by changing whip length you can change bands. For instance, I added a 60 inch whip and moved it to 15 meters. With a tuner, I also use it on 20. It retains its broadbandedness (is that a word?) over the entire general phone segment on both bands. Now I basically use the tuner as an antenna switch. Contacts have been made world wide on 20 and 15. I have another one mounted on the other side for 10 meters. They work well.

10. G0TZE

G0TZE Ham Member QRZ Page

im using a Little Tarheel II Screwdriver antenna very happy with the results im living on the south coast of the UK G0TZE/m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.