Mobile HF and 2 meter VHF

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KB2RSK, Aug 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB2RSK

KB2RSK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 2011 KIA SPORTAGE and it is basically a fiberglass body of a vehicle. I have attempted to set up a yeseau 857D for 2 meter and HF and I keep getting pulsating noise when the engine is running. I have tried chokes, gorunding and litterally isolating as much as possible any electrical exposed wires from being close to the antenna or transceiver. Any suggestions other than buying another vehicle? I have run portable with a separte 12 volt battery with the same antenna system, with out the vehicle running and I do not have the interference. It is only when the vehilce is ideling or running. People have suggested using metal tape stripes for extra grounding, is this an option that might work ? Nothing like the older vehicles we had back in the 60's and 70's that had a metal body to them and you could find a good ground any where's.Not in this case, the KIA is basically a Fiberglass body over a semi metal frame. Thanks for reading 73's from KB2RSK

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The first thing you need to do is identify the RFI. If you go to my web site, and bring up the Noise ID article, there are some AIF files you can listen to.

I suspect it is ignition RFI. Have you bonded the exhaust system?

And where and how are the antennas mounted?

Just for the record, this isn't the forum you should be using for technical issues. That's further down/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.