Mobile Headset/MIC

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by NA1S, Jan 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NA1S

NA1S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am thinking about putting a VHF/UHF rig back in my car after many years without one. The last time I had a rig mobile there were no hands free laws to deal with.

Any suggestions for a wireless headset/mic combination that works with VHF/UHF mobile radios?

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Heil Sound makes adapters that will connect a headset to a mobile radio. I use one in my shack on an FTM-100DR. It wouldn't take much effort to adapt one for mobile operation. Just make sure you check your state's laws regarding headphones in a vehicle.

3. NA1S

NA1S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks!

4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^THIS!
    ;)

5. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it have Bluetooth?

6. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of pro drivers (long-haul 18 wheelers) use higher-end "BlueParrott" brand BlueTooth headsets with noise-cancelling mics like the B550-XT. I don't own one, but they sound great when paired to DMR radios. Single earphone so you have one ear free to hear non-radio sound.

Not sure which ham mobile rigs have BlueTooth pairing these days. I think the newer digital (C4FM) Yaesu FTM-300 and FTM-400 have it, as does the older analog (FM-only) Yaesu FTM-350, which is out of production but probably available used.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    K7OZI likes this.
  7. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no law against having ONE ear covered in a vehicle. Commercial drivers have been prevented from holding a phone for many years nationwide. Many of them use the one-ear-covering blue tooth headsets like K6EEN describes. There's simply too much ambient noise in a big rig to make use of a "hands free" application that doesn't have the mic directly at the user's mouth.
    I would suggest investing in one of the newer radios with built in blue-tooth and using a compatible headset. In addition to the Yaesu rigs mentioned the Icom IC-5100 has it.

K7OZI likes this.
  8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty much, but restrictions can be based on circumstances. And there may be restrictions enacted at the County or municipal level. It's still best to check local laws first.

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/headsets/

Bluetooth is good, but using the Heil adapters will work with just about any mobile radio, even ones without Blutooth capability.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021