ad: Halibut-1

Mobile Hamfest Canceled...

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by W4NNF, Mar 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wish I didn't have to write this. :(

Due to the situation with the Coronavirus the decision has been made to cancel the 2020 edition of the Mobile Hamfest. In our view, that is the only responsible thing to do, not just to safeguard the health and safety of attendees, but to also preserve the Mobile Amateur Radio Club's financial well-being. Even if the virus and all the concern surrounding it disappeared in four weeks, it is quite unlikely we would get enough attendance to justify the monetary expense and expenditure of man-power involved in holding the event. People would still be scared of public gatherings like hamfests. Given the current conditions, we had to be proactive and make the unanimous decision to cancel the event.

I know you are disappointed. I certainly am. The Mobile Hamfest is very important to me. The first time I attended it was sometime in the 1950s. Not only was that before I was licensed, it was probably before I could walk. My old man, W4SLJ (SK) would drag me and Mama to the wonderful Mobile Hamfest at the old National Guard Armory on Fulton Ridge Road every year. That and many other memories make the hamfest important to me, and if there were any way to successfully hold it this year, I would have been all for it, believe me.

Rest assured, the storied Mobile Hamfest will be back next year!

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Rod... I was sorry to hear that it was cancelled. For years it's been one of my favorite local events. Even so, I agree with your decision.

Dave
    KK4NSF

3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, Dave. We will carry on, and I promise 2021 will be better than ever. :)

KK4NSF likes this.