ad: KF7PMW-1

Mobile ham shack powered by the house/ car battery by pass solutions or better

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KK4JII, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4JII

KK4JII Ham Member QRZ Page

ok so I guess you are confused by the title already it's relatively simple in concept.

I have a couple mobile radios in my car all going to the the "fuse box power connector" under the hood of my GM vehicle (2003 buick century)
    I want the ability to take my Alinco power supply with me and plug into a commercial power (120/240v wall socket) and sit in my car and power the radios.( required)
    I figured this is simple in theory all I would have to do is make an Anderson power pole connection at the car to the radios and some power poles on the end of my power supply, but as I wondered about this
    that would only power the radios no AC, lights in the car or anything else. is there a solution out there to power not only the radios but charge the battery, and run the AC, and everything else that would turn on if the ignition was on? is there a plug that can leave dangling from the battery for quick access. and one other thing I am thinking about is the possibility of running a computer in the car?
    I have a feeling that there is a well known product out there that will suit my needs.

2. K4VLF

K4VLF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Uhm, I have never owned a Buick, but every vehicle I have owned with AC needed the the engine to run it. The AC is a mechanical device, not electrical ...

Buy a travel trailer or similar, then you can plug the whole mess into shore power.

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have no experience with 2011 and newer vehicles, but I assume at least some of them have electric motors to power accessories, seems how they're supposed to automatically shut the engine off when you stop at an intersection. Maybe someone here knows something about those.

4. KA0AAM

KA0AAM Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe you are out of luck. . ..AC is ran by the engine in all but the very newest and special cars. . .in which some will use a separate battery to turn a DC motor which turns your AC compressor.

These cars are usually hybrids or pure electric cars.

5. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get power inverters that will run off your car's battery to generate 120VAC. However, it seams like you are over complicating things. You want to go from 13VDC car power to 120VAC inverter power and then back to 13VDC. Additionally, inverters are not hugely efficient, so you loose a fair amount of power going back and forth.

My thought would be to keep the power supply separate from the car's system. My first thought is to install a double pole, double throw switch in between the car's 13VDC bus and the radio then attached the power supply to the other pole of the switch. This way you can plug your power supply in to house power when you have it available, and a simple switch throw to put you back on car power.

Some extras you can include would be to wire up a battery trickle charger to the 120VAC circuit so that it will top of the car's battery when you run on commercial power.

6. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

perhaps Prius , while it is in ON position, engine turn on once a while to charge main 200 V battery, then shut off. A/C compressor is electrically driven. it has 1kW inverter to convert 200V to 12V DC
    at least engine is not running all the time, and while running it is efficient small engine.
    http://www.epa.gov/cppd/Presentations/Matsunaga electric inverter.pdf

7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Right. For AC try a naked native girl waving palm fronds.

Works for me.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. AF5SX

AF5SX Ham Member QRZ Page

G

I use a 1500 watt inverter in my truck (Peterbilt), but can't use a power supply off it because it (the inverter) is modified sine wave. I have never seen one that was pure sine wave. And I was told that power supplies can't handle the modified sine wave (square wave) coming off inverters.

I heard Gordon West, WB6NOA, mention a "switching power supply that could be used in conjunction with an inverter, but haven't checked into it further yet.

9. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.