Mobile Frequencies

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KJ4VRQ, Apr 6, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KJ4VRQ

KJ4VRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys,

I recently acquired a yaesu-857 with an ATAS-120a. I love it! I was wondering if there were any particular frequencies on any band that are typically used for mobile operations. I spoke to someone on 17 meters the other day who said that 17 meters is typically a mobile band more than others. I have never heard that before but was just wondering. Any info is appreciated. Thanks...

2. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

7258 Midcars (for what that is worth today)
    7251 Southcars
    7255 Eastcars

3. N0VGL

N0VGL Ham Member QRZ Page

Haven't heard of anything like a band for mobiles on HF. I've heard and talked with numerous mobile stations on all the bands 40 through 440. I guess if there are any mobile specific bands they would be the 2m, 440. I also have an FT-857D, but I use a Tarheel II Jr. screwdriver with an auto tuner. Talked to a Rhode Island and a Vermont station on my way to work tonight working the New England QSO party.

KN4AOT likes this.
  4. WA6IRQ

WA6IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually work 17 meters when I travel. I like the band, propagation is generally good most of the year.
    For me, there is no contesting on 17 meters and I like that. Not that I am against contesting, but it is not for me.

I have worked most of the US on 17 meters from Calif. with my FT-857 and originally a ATAS 120 antenna, but I have gone through 3 of them in the last 10 years and find that they are not that durable. So I switched to a Lil Tarheel II with an auto tuner.. I love it, better performer than the ATAS 120 plus you can get the 80/75 meter bands.

Enjoy the world of HF mobile...

Wes

WA6IRQ

5. NF0N

NF0N Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen on 14.336, 14.271, 7.188 for the County Hunters, lot's of mobiles. If CW, 14.056.5, 7.056.5, 10.122.5.

6. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I work pretty much anyplace on the bands while mobile. I typically run on 40, 20, 17 and 15 meters depending on band conditions. 20 and 17 meters are my favorites. I am at 60 DX countries toward DXCC from the mobile running 100 watts SSB. A good antenna makes all the difference even though some call them "big and ugly". (o: To date my best mobile contact was 10,900 miles to FR5EC on Reunion Island off Madagascar.

Bug Eliminator-5-sm-label.jpg Bug Eliminator-1-sm-label.jpg FT-450-Mobile-label.jpg

John
    WD5IKX

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  7. AE7QT

AE7QT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

146.520?!? Yup :) O, and 144.200 USB since you have all band all mode.

8. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

As the others have said, 17 is always popular with mobiles, but all of the bands are open to you, at least as far as your license lets you go. :) All of the bands from 20 to 10 are great for mobile operating. Forty introduces more inefficiency in your antenna just because of the physical size limitations, and 30 would probably be great but mobile CW is too scary in my high-traffic commuting. :) Any of the bands will let you have a bunch of fun from your car! 73 and GL; mobile HF can be a world of fun!

Oh, one other thought: 17 is contest-free, of course, but a few years ago I was on a long trip in my car the weekend of some big contest, don't recall which one offhand. I worked the contest from the car for a few hours and had a blast! :)

9. VE3NLP

VE3NLP Ham Member QRZ Page

They are always taking check ins on the Inter-con and Maritime Mobile Service Nets on 14.300 from 800AM EST ( 1300UTC ) till 10PM EST ( 0300UTC ). Great group of people, and always happy to help with traffic, Scheduled contacts, or Emergencies( ITU lists this Frequency as a centre for Emergency traffic).

10. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

well I like 20m 17 m 10 m for the fact that the ant is better tuned in the area that you have and most range if you are keeping in touch with home give them a freq you will moniter too call for you on 14 270 28 435 like that ok ,,,,,,,