Mobile Dual Band Radio with DMR and APRS - Similar to the Yaesu FTM-400DR

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KI5AML, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI5AML

KI5AML Member QRZ Page

I am slowly getting my feet wet after getting my license and need to save space in my car by not having multiple radios doing different things. I would like a radio that does DMR and APRS. The Yaesu FTM-400DR is dual band, has aprs, but is set up for Fusion, not DMR. I would like a DMR radio similar to this for my car. Any suggestions?

2. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

For now, there aren't any options that combine DMR and APRS like you describe with the FTM-400DR.

You'd have to use something like a Mobilinkd TNC with your DMR radio, but it won't be an integrated way to do APRS like with other radios used with Fusion or (with a Kenwood TH-D74) D-Star. You might not be able to use your DMR radio while APRS is in operation this way.

Are you only interested in using APRS to see yourself (or have others see you) on a map? You could go with something separate from your DMR radio for APRS, like a Byonics MicroTrak. If you do that, and if your DMR activity is primarily on 70cm, you could connect both to a diplexer and share a 2m/70cm antenna on your car.

73!

3. KI5AML

KI5AML Member QRZ Page

Thanks. Do you have a recommendation for a budget friendly mobile with 2m, 70cm, and aprs? I have an HT that will do with an openspot for now for DMR.

4. WD9EWK

Define "budget friendly".

Yaesu has the FTM-100DR and the FTM-400XDR that do APRS, FM, and Fusion/C4FM. Kenwood has the TM-D710GA that does APRS and FM.

5. KI5AML

KI5AML Member QRZ Page

Cheap! But something that is not garbage. I want to actually be able to use it and like it. If I understood the fusion reflectors more, I would jump on the 400xdr. I am a DMR guy so far. It seems the openspot can only be configured to a single reflector at a time on fusion.

6. WD9EWK

I started my reply with that question, because what you are asking for - something with APRS - isn't considered "cheap". I don't think those mobiles I mentioned are garbage, but as you move away from DMR and especially the relatively inexpensive DMR radios, you aren't at "cheap" anymore.

If you have an openSpot, you have options to use that to access DMR from a Fusion radio, or to connect a Fusion radio to reflectors/talkgroups that tie together DMR and even D-Star.

7. KI5AML

KI5AML Member QRZ Page

I don't think those mobiles are garbage, just defining cheap. :) I ended up choosing the FTM-400XDR. I am looking forward to getting it in. I would like DMR included in a mobile, but I will just stick to my HT for that for now.

WD9EWK likes this.
  8. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Subscriber QRZ Page

For APRS I always recommend the Kenwood TM-D710GA - excellent for APRS. It is analog only, though, but strictly giving this recommendation based on the desire for APRS.

WD9EWK likes this.