Mobile dual band options

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KF5GWN, Mar 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KF5GWN

KF5GWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope I am in the right forum for this.
    I have a Larsen dual band antenna. I currently use a couple of Motorola Genesis series portables in a vehicle adapter in my truck. I currently have a UHF motorola brick amplifier (n1275a) that I hook up for 70cm and GMRS use. I need to keep the GMRS capability as that is what I use with the rest of the family who don't have ham licenses. I am looking to add an amplifier for VHF. I am hoping to avoid having to use a manual antenna switch, or having to swap out amps each time I change portables.

My options as I see them are find a dual band amp that is good up to 470mhz ( which I have yet to find), or, Feed line off the convertacom to a duplexer (MFJ-916B or equivalent) to the amps, then another duplexer and a single line to the antenna.

What I am worried about is potential losses on the receive side.
    Thoughts?

2. K9KJM

K9KJM Ham Member QRZ Page

IF I am understanding your query correctly, I really think your best bet in the end is to just install another dual band antenna and forget the duplexer idea. Using several single band radios does have problems though.

I have a somewhat similar situation needing GMRS and all, My final solution has been to just install a modified Yaesu FT8800 dual band in the truck. IF I need to transmit on GMRS, I use a little small hand held GMRS radio. (Which works just fine since most all of my need for GMRS is very short range) If I needed more power than the little hand held could do, I would either not talk, Or in the event of a true emergency situtation, Just use the high power Yaesu.
    Although the Yaesu FT8800R works just fine, It is NOT legal to use it to transmit on GMRS. (Except in a true life or death emergency) So if you need high power on GMRS on a regular basis, It might be best to stick with what you have now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.