Mobile comms in a Ram truck

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N5MST, Mar 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Small, low efficiency. The coil is short, skinny & close wound with small gauge.
    Read up on www.K0BG.com

Ed

WD5IKX likes this.
  2. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I went with an 9 foot whip and an FC-40 remote matching unit. Work 40 to 6 effectively. With 16 feet it will do 80, gets wonky on 6 though.

3. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I would skip the ATAS 120 antenna. I tried various antennas before I finally put on my Bug Catcher style antenna. For HF mobile..."Go Big or Go Home" !! (^8
    I put this antenna together for less than $200 by being a good scrounger. I would love a Scorpion 680 but I just can't get past the price tag when this antenna works so well and I don't even need a tuner to make it resonant.

WD5IKX and Casita.jpg

John WD5IKX / m

SLOWMOVER likes this.
  4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

High Sierra HS-1800 here. Works well.
    Almost 4' without the whip & coil is about 2" dia.
    6' whip works 10M to 80M well.
    12" whip for 6M

Ed

WD5IKX likes this.
  5. M0KPD

M0KPD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using my Scorpion sa680 for over 5yrs, and i can honestly say, apart from a bit of wear and tear it has been just brilliant. Here in the UK, we dont have the vast expanse of open spaces, but i have clocked up over 250,000 miles with mine up on the roof of my vanand with over 15000 contacts in the log. Lost a few whips, hit a few trees and a couple of near misses with low bridges!
    So far over 250 dxcc and just one state to go (ND) to get my WAS in qrz.
    I am looking to change the motor and thread inside the tube, for a better ballscrew and digital vari-speed controller.
    I had looked at the Tarheel and HiQ variants, but i liked the look of Rons design.
    Periodically, living near the sea, i strip it down for maintenance and rewind if needed, also replace or clean the 'finger stock' regulary for the best connection etc.
    At present i am running just the single shunt coil, normally 2 connected in the box with the relay. The normal whip is the mfj1964 but for better results on 160m I have the mfj1966, mostly for competitions (CQWW SSB, CQWPX, Hollyland).
    As a testament to how well it works? ....well, i have been accused many times of 'NOT' being a mobile station....which i find just great!
    Also being described as a home shack on wheels is another good one too :O)
    I operate mostly , in winter 80 and 40m and summer on 40 and 20m, of course any other band when open! I do enjoy operating at some very early hours of the morning over here (3:00 am local ) and enjoy the company of the states before i go to work at 6:00am. Most mornings i get a contact with
    zl4rmf Ron, and it just amazes me that he hears me between s4-7 avg, and i receive him from s4-8 avg. The point is, the antenna has great transmit and excellent receive in my true testing.
    Well thats it from me, if you hear me out there, yes i AM mobile, look forward to many more qso's
    Rob M0KPD/M

SLOWMOVER and WD5IKX like this.
  6. N5MST

N5MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I don't won't that much antenna on the truck. If I want to work 80 or 160 meters I won't be doing that going down the road or with a mobile antenna. I objective is to be able to work 10, 20, and 40 meters while on the trail and the other bands while in camp.

7. AJ3O

AJ3O Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a Hi-Q 6/160 Piranha with a 3 foot whip, work 80-6 reliably. Only do 160 when camping or working POTA. Blows my Little Tarheel ii out of the water. But don't get me wrong, I love that Tarheel for what it is.

Your setup looks good and clean. Just a word of advise. Watch out for passengers who don't care about your setup, they WILL bump into the radio heads and get you upset. I've had it happen way too many times.

Joe / AJ3O

N5PNZ likes this.
  8. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Where did you mount the radios? I picked up a TS-2000B with the hopes of mounting behind the rear seat of my Ram Outdoorsman Crew Cab but there wasn’t enough room. I suppose it might fit under the passenger seat but that seems like a good place to get damaged by shoes, etc.

9. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And that is where your jack stowage (not the bottle) is located.

10. NT5CC

NT5CC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why did you choose the FT-857? I have one and love it but you already have VHF.

This is what I did. My bride almost had a stroke when she saw the entire center console out and in my shack being dismantled... Brand new RAM 1500 "Limited", less than a week off the lot. :) I finally bit the bullet and discarded the bed cover. Couldn't figure out how to mount the "Traffic Director" and Tarheel 75 with it in place. The radios are Kenwood TS-480HX (200 watt ) on dash & TM-D710GA. Also mounted a Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP digital scanner and (of course) a mini CB. Antennae are Comet SBB5 dual band, Larson NMO150 (scanner) & Browning CB.

Console.jpg Rear.jpg

Attached Files:

• top.jpg
      top.jpg
      File size:
      2.4 MB
      Views: