Mobile comms in a Ram truck

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N5MST, Mar 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N5MST

N5MST Ham Member QRZ Page

So a while back I decided that I wanted to expand my mobile comms and be able to work most modes on most bands from practically anywhere. So begin my new project and today I reached the halfway point. I had already installed my Kenwood TM-D710A so I pulled my old Yaesu FT-857D out of storage and went to planning out how to make this work. I started by adding Lidos extended mounting plate to my seat bolt mount so I could install both radio heads. From there I had to start expanding the power distribution system. So I took a Rigrunner 4005 I had sitting around and ran that off a newly installed and dedicated relay. This setup gives me enough power to run both rigs with everything else running (33-34 amps peak draw) without any issue. From here I needed to make sure I was running the D710A to its fullest. I had never hooked a GPS to the unit despite my appreciation for APRS. So first I tried an old Garmin unit that I got dirt cheap. I was just never happy with the size and power consumption of this unit so I went looking for better options. So I found a puck style GPS receiver on Ebay and wired that into the control head. And from here I needed to make sure I could access the TNC from my laptop to get the most out of APRS. Thus back to Ebay I went grabbing up the USB to serial adapter cable and a programming cable. With that combination I was able to run PinPoint software on my laptop in conjuction with APRS. All and all I am happy with how this turned out so far. And now I am looking forward to getting the HF side of this running by adding a TNC and ATAS 120 antenna to the setup.

20200319_114036.jpg 20200319_114010.jpg

M0KPD, WD5IKX, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  2. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A Kenwood and a Yaesu together... I know there is a joke in there somewhere. :)
    Looks great!

K0UO and N5MST like this.
  3. N5MST

I can be open minded and accept inter-brand radio unions. But really I think those two radios make the most versatile pair of mobile radios in existence. There are very few things one can't do with those two radios.

4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Put them together and you get a "Woody"

N5MST likes this.
  5. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Ham Member QRZ Page

In my 2004 Ram, I have a Woody plus a Bat /\/\... so I guess that equals a Chubby...

[​IMG]

P.S. It's not as dirty as it looks in this picture.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KB0MNM likes this.
  6. KC1ICX

KC1ICX Ham Member QRZ Page

Any updates on your antenna set ups? I am considering a similar plan, but I have a 2018 with RamBox bed and hard folding tonneau cover that complicates things.

7. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can, get any other screwdriver antenna. The ATAS is just not worth it.

Ed

WD5IKX likes this.
  8. N5MST

Sorry but no. I just found my way back to the land of employment so the antennas were set on the back burner.

9. N5MST

I am familiar with some of the issues surrounding the ATAS but they all seem fixable via grounding. How are other screwdrivers better?

10. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a nice setup except I would do something other than the 120 antenna
    Get an HQ, Tarheel or the Scorpion

I like the Kenwood 710 and the kenwood 480,the heads look very similar, I used to run the TS 2000 with the remote head that was just like the 710.
    The 710 is a great Radio for VHF UHF