Mobile antenna's for SUV's and Minivans that are garage kept?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KC0BUS, Apr 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC0BUS

KC0BUS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    What kind of mobile antennas and mounting options does someone have driving an SUV, Crossover or Minivan AND who still wants to be able to put their vehicle in their garage at home? These vehicles typically only have a few inches of roof clearance (at best) between the garage door threshold and top of the vehicles metal roof.
    Thank you

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You install a hood set mount.

KD5BVX likes this.
  3. VA3RIR

VA3RIR Ham Member QRZ Page

4. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hood mounted NGP antenna like a Larsen NMO 270B, Duamond NR770HNMO, or
    Comet SBB-5NMO

5. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

While it is possible to use the K5000 electrically operated fold-over antenna, there are a few cautions that you should be aware of. This is my experience, not necessarily that of everyone: 1. The up/down button control membrane can wear over time, exposing the raw switch inside- yet still may work. 2. The biggest issue may be remembering to use the up/down control every time when entering a garage or parking ramp due to outside distractions ( as in merging traffic or getting off busy streets at ramps ). 3. There is a friction point that is the size of a golf-ball which allows the antenna angle to be made vertical. The screw that holds this may need to be tightened every month or so, or a 'Loctite(tm)' type of material used so that the antenna would not inadvertently tilt forward ( resulting in the wrong 'down' position- a real antenna buster ). MFJ makes an improved lip mount* which is mechanically easy to use in putting the antenna on the engine hood. Not everyone wants to see the antenna as they drive. *Set screws still need to be tightened from time to time, but less than older ones. No motor in this mount, no fold-over- just very adjustable NMO.

6. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use A Diamond K540 Super gainer Roof Rack Mount. I added a homebrew clamp mount so it would fasten onto my KIA sport rails
    It allows the antenna to quickly tilt forward via a large thumb screw. The antenna is a dual band 2M/70cm Comet S3B5
    It works well
    when I ran HF out of my merc villager, the hamstick was on a CB tilt over quick disconnect 203EZ. the whip would tilt over and would clip on the front roof rail so I could drive with it down - rx only

7. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a dual band (146 - 446) mag mount on the roof of my pick-up. When the garage was built I specified 8 foot doors instead of 6.5 foot. Problem solved.

Bob

8. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Proper sized overheads help. boathousefla.jpg

9. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ha! thats a nice garage, I put a wider door on the garage I built here but wish I had 1/2ft more height so I could get the Kia in with the kayaks on the roof racks. Just about makes it in.

10. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

You will lose gain, but there's the old fashioned 1/4 wave 2M antennas at around 19"long. There's also a 2M/440 version about the same length. I know these don't work as well, and I, too, have the same problem of height going into the carport. So I had to make a choice. And.............well, my family kinda gave me a spot of bother about having those "dumb antennas" up there:oops:! So I painted everything black to disguise(?) them and chose the 1/4 wave. I've got lots of repeaters around here within range so the gain is not so critical. Seems to work well enough! And I can get under the carport!;)