Mobile antenna options for my carbon fiber chassis car (BMW i3)

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KM6UOZ, Nov 9, 2018 at 6:32 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM6UOZ

KM6UOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So as the title suggests I am wanting to install an icom dual band 50 watt mobile radio into my wife's car. This seems very straight forward however she has a BMW i3. For those of you that do not know the chassies of the vehicle are all carbon fiber like a Lamborghini Aventador or an aircraft. So mag mount antennas will not work at all there is no metal to stick to. The Panels of the car the trunk hood and hatchback are a polymer plastic of somesort so they do not dent.

Any way in this scenario what kind of antenna do you guys recommend for a dual band set up? I thought about doing a glass mount antenna but have read any type of window tinting will be a problem and you cannot use one with even factory tinting. Well, unfortunately, all the rear windows are factory tinted so that option is out. SO then I was debating doing a lip mount antenna on the rear hatch which seems like it would work well however I have read that those mounts use a pointed set screw to lock them in place and make a good connection to the metal of whatever they are connected to, to form the ground plane. In this case the panels are not metal so I would not have a ground plane. What are my options at this point for an antenna with decent performance really appreciate any recommendations you guys with way more experience might have.

I can't put some huge ugly looking contraption on the car she would object but is okay with 3 to 4-foot antenna. DO they make an antenna with built-in ground plane for mounting on a car?

Thanks in advance

Lee

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

About the only thing you can do is provide a ground plane using some 3M, 1181, copper foil tape. You can buy it on eBay as cheaper than anyplace. However... Finding a good place to mount an NMO is another issue on the i3 due to the design of the boot (trunk) as it were.

It is indeed unfortunate, but the i3 is only the tip of the iceberg. If it isn't the lack of a ground plane, it is the huge amount of RFI from the on-board digital electronics keeping us from enjoying our hobby. In fact, some vehicles produce so much RFI, even FM isn't usable. And we need to remember, that passenger vehicles are exempt from Part 15.

KB0MNM likes this.
  3. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

You may want to research the foldover antenna systems made to work with mini-vans and such, the Model K5000 mount comes to mind. According to Diamond, there are various types of antennas made to work with compromised ground planes. According to an old pro at Radio City ( maybe closed now, previously in Mounds View, Mn.- associated with Lentini- ads in QST ), the important factor is wavelength. So if you are choosing a dual-band antenna, the SG-7500 might qualify- yet height can be an issue due to parking garage clearances, etc. While there is no particular need to use a foldover system with these so-called 'no ground plane connection' antennas, there is also probably no need to select only Diamond for a supplier. Yet they do provide extensive information in QST magazine ads and on the website. I also have a few cautions regarding maintenance of the electrically actuated foldover mounts. They do not always necessarily provide for extra antenna life... because if you forget or they slip... one slip is enough- they can be up when you think they are down.

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 5:03 AM
  5. KE5PPH

KE5PPH Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FAA recommended method for installing a whip antenna on non-metallic surface using foil ground plane. Advisory Circular 43.13.

[​IMG]