Mobile Antenna Mounting - Superduty truck

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC8BWS, Jan 1, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8BWS

KC8BWS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I'm looking for antenna mounting advice for my truck.

I really don't think I want to put a big magmount on the roof, my Yaesu 8900R's antenna (the 4 band one that's like 40" tall) would give my truck a total height of around 13' over all. I was thinking of bolting a couple right angle pieces of steel to my steel front bumper and then running the coax through the engine bay.

On my F150 I used to use one of those "post" mounts, but I wasn't really impressed with the quality of the mount, and I don't know if it would interfere with my tonneau cover.

If anyone has some good ideas, I'd be really appreciative.

I plan on running the quad band antenna, and then adding a 108" whip for HF.

Thanks mates

2. N0EF

N0EF Ham Member QRZ Page

Go to www.qrz.com/n0ef and check out my fold-down mount in the cargo bay of my Tundra. Works great!

John N0EF

3. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love mine from Breedlove Mounts. Rock sold and it installs in minutes.
    moto.jpg

4. KC8BWS

The problem with either of those is I can't use my tonneau cover :(

5. KB8YVC

KB8YVC Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KC8BWS

Thank you, I've never heard of Breedlove until now. :)

7. KC8BWS

Well, after considering my options, I guess there is really one way to go, and that's the dump the soft tonneau cover and get a used toolbox, then I can mount antennas on that. The bumper solution, while good in theory would have the vehicle act as a giant reflector, so that would be unadvisable for some communications.

8. NQ0S

NQ0S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used a standard lip-mount on the hood by the driver for years. Placed carefully, it looks like a mirror of the regular radio antenna on the passenger side. While this probably is the perfect location from a performance standpoint, it doesn't cause any issues with hauling, covers, etc in the back and I can hit all the repeaters I normally need. Also makes the install take less than an hour to work through the firewall to the back of the radio.

9. N5LCL

N5LCL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have my HF antenna mounted on the tailgate of my F150 with a Diamond 400 mount. I also have two of the 400's mounted on the extended cab doors. One for my 2mtr/440 and the other for my APRS. With it mounted on the tailgate I can still have the Tonneau cover. Did the same for a friend on his F250 with a camper shell. Works very well.

10. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

The good old ball and spring mount is hard to beat for HF. Yeah,...I drill.