ad: Alphaant-1

Mobile antenna for VHF/UHF on a motorhome

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KJ6HZH, Apr 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ6HZH

KJ6HZH Ham Member QRZ Page

Can I get some thoughts and ideas on installing one or two VHF/UHF antennas on a motorhome? I have a class C 25-footer in which I'd like to use VHF/UHF while driving. Where on such a vehicle would I mount an antenna and how would it be done? The body is fiberglass over wood, so there's a problem with ground plane right there. Attaching them to the metal van front isn't doable because the over-the-cab bed is in the way. The mirrors don't stick out enough for mirror-mounts to work. Is clamping something to the ladder workable? If I do that, where can I mount a second antenna? I'm thinking of using a 2m/70cm rig and a 1.25m rig.

2. WA6E

WA6E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I took a cookie sheet and drilled a 3/4" hole in the middle. With the cookie sheet upside down I mounted a NMO mount in the middle. The lip on the sheet gives enough room to clear the underside of the NMO mount. Drilled a small hole in the lip for the coax to exit. Screwed the sheet to the roof and sealed around the edge real well. Mounted my antenna on the NMO mount. Works fantastic. Only issue is how to route the coax into the coach. I had a place where satellite coax ran down from the roof so used the same hole and resealed. Another friend looped it in on the side of his slide-out (with a rain drip loop to prevent leaks). Another friend glued a piece of sheet metal to the roof and used a mag mount. Same issue with routing coax but you can figure that out. I have pictures if you would like. Let me know and I will email them to you. Good luck.

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For VHF/UHF I just use a mount on the ladder, Don't use an antenna with a long whip, you might be over 14 feet. Most guys just use mirror-mounts on the ladder