Mobile Amp installation

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by WB5PBS, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N1GMV

N1GMV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to run (8) MRF-492's in my amp mounted in a 1987 Camaro Z28. I used the Hustler High power coils on the fold-over mast.

Blew out 105 amp altenators twice, ran second battery in back, 2 guage wire to the front battery.

500 watts is not too bad but still I don't recommend you key up when you are at an idle. You will fry the altenator. Would be best if you can run external diodes and a 300 amp altenator like they use in Ambulances.

Be careful on 40 meters, I hear if things are not right you can deploy an airbag.

PS> fun as hell to bust through a pile up of big guns while in your mobile and get a 20db over S9 report from the DX station.

When you do make sure you toot the horn to let everyone know your mobile!!

2. K8LLC

K8LLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I read your note hear, is there an outfit that has alternators that would handle a 300 watt amp?.

3. W5LDA

W5LDA Ham Member QRZ Page

My 2013 silverado has a 135 amp alternator. I also run a TS 480 although a sat model along with the ALS 500 amp. Ran this setup in 5 different trucks with no problem yet. I might add I use a screwdriver built by KJ7U which will handle 600w..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.