Mobile Amp installation

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by WB5PBS, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WB5PBS

WB5PBS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have recently acquired an Ameritron ALS-500M solid state mobile amplifier and have never installed or used one in my vehicle but I travel and want to be able to use my HF while on the road. I have a Yaesu 857D transceiver and also have a separate heavy duty battery to use for the amp if practicle. Will I need to rig up a power supply instead? The radio runs off the auto battery. I have the Yaesu ATAS-120 automatic antenna. Is there anyplace that I can go to for guidance on a proper install of my radio and amp? I want to install it in my 2012 Chevrolet Traverse.
    Please help and Thanks in advance...

Mike
    WB5PBS

2. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The second battery is probably a step in the right direction, but i don't think that antenna will handle the amount of power you are considering.

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First, everything you need to know is on my web site under Amplifiers, and Amplifier Care and Feeding.

Next, forget about the ATAS. About the fist time you key up with the amp on, poof!!! Fact is replacing the antenna with a decent one, mounted correctly, will give you more ERP than the amp will.

The Transverse has a 130 amp alternator, so that isn't a worry. The cabling to the amp, if mounted in the rear, could be a worry due to the overall length, and voltage drop there in.

Read the articles, and if you have questions, email me.

4. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I echo Alan's statement--DO NOT use the ATAS antenna with the amp or the antenna will be toast. Related to that, read the reviews on the ATAS-120. Experience over many years has shown that it is NOT a very good choice in mobile HF antennas. I made the mistake of getting one back when the FT 100/ATAS-120 combo was marketed as a package deal. The FT 100 wasn't a bad radio--the ATAS was a terrible antenna.

FWIW, I have never found it necessary to run more than 100 watts on HF mobile and have worked the world. A good, antenna with a good well bonded ground plane (the vehicle) will do quite nicely.

5. WB5PBS

Any recommendations on a good antenna that can handle this amp?

6. WB5PBS

Thanks Alan...I'll be referring to your website often. It is one of the best I have seen and very detailed. Thanks for all the info and I am sure I will be in touch.

Mike WB5PBS

7. WB5PBS

Any antenna recommendations?

Mike
    WB5PBS

8. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The top of the pile at the moment is the Scorpion. If you don't with to spend that much, look at the Tarheel 200A.

9. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The Hi-q antennas will handle it with no problem at a price that won't break the bank.

10. M6XSZ

M6XSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, just wire it up with a good antenna and see what happens ;)

Wire your other battery up so it charged from the alternator though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.