MJF 949D Versa II Deluxe Antenna tuner

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AXEMAN, Feb 1, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AXEMAN

AXEMAN QRZ Member

Hi All,

I'm beginning in Radio Ham, I bought a MJF 949D Versa II Deluxe Antenna Tuner, the problem is the power lead is missing for the Meter Lamp, I could make one but for the socket, I have tried 3.5mm jack plug, a small barrel plug, I can't tell what it is, sorry for being a bit thick, just starting with electronics.
    Does anyone know the connector for the Meter Lamp that goes in the back of the box?

Many Thanks in Advance

Stuart

2. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the pictures show a 2.5 mm plug is necessary, probably mono with the tip positive.
    Mike N3PM

3. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps the manufacturer has a solution. Consider contacting their customer service department, the call is free.

5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've owned two MFJ-949E (same as 949D but includes dummy load) over the past 20 years.

I think you'll find that the meter lamp is not really necessary unless you're going to be operating in low light. The tuner works fine without the light.

The manual says it's a 2.5mm plug with center pin positive.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  6. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

This is what mine looks like- DC-Lamp-Power-Connector-MFJ-948-MFJ-949B-MFJ-949C-MFJ-949D-_57.jpg DC-Lamp-Power-Connector-MFJ-948-MFJ-949B-MFJ-.jpg
    Mike N3PM

7. AC2QH

AC2QH Ham Member QRZ Page

The plug you show is a mono audio plug, sometimes called a "micro-mini". The tuner jack is a "coax" DC socket with a 2.5mm center pin. The DC plugs come in several shell lengths with both 2.1mm center diameter and 2.5mm. Many 12V DC wall warts use the 2.5mm variety and could be used to power the lamp, or you could salvage the plug and cable from one and connect it some other source of 12V. Some manufactures reverse the polarity and make the shell positive and pin negative, so check polarity before connecting.

8. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

The jack shown is part of my 949D. It is not coaxial. Many MFJ units use a 2.5 mm mono audio plug to deliver power.
    Mike N3PM

9. AC2QH

AC2QH Ham Member QRZ Page

With MFJ all things are possible. Mine uses 2.5mm coax. Go figga...

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those can be very dangerous if plugged in with power applied. Because there is a instance of a dead short that is not all that good.

A station power supply could smoke the wire when the tip gets welded to ground. :oops:

Coaxial Tip + is the good norm now a days. Then you can have the confusion of OD and ID to deal with. :)

One problem with the meter lamps, Many are made for 12V not 13.8V so life of the bulbs is shorter. Plus the meter can melt. 9V should be good enough.