Missing out with a 857D?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KD8ENE, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD8ENE

KD8ENE Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 857d I have had for several years, I usually run 20m and 40m SSB and 2M FM on occasion.

I guess I have new radio fever. I'm not unhappy with my 857, I don't even have a problem with the menu on it.

I have been looking in the $1,000 range, most are 160-6m only so, for 20 and 40 SSB use are there any real advantages to replace my 857? Will the difference in receive on another radio justify the cost?

So with the vast knowledge on this board, what do you guys think?

2. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you thought about replacing antennas. The best radio is only as good as the antenna it's connected to.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo. Unless the replacement rig you're contemplating on purchasing utilizes a down conversion receiver that can use narrow roofing filters, you won't see much of a difference. The antenna on the other hand can make a 500 dollar transceiver perform far better than a 5,000 dollar radio attached to a hamstick.

4. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the 897. Both radio are essentially the same in different packages. I am happy with mine. Right now we are at a historic solar minimum, so everything thinks it's their radio.

I looked back at my logs and the stuff I worked 10 years ago with a 706 and a wire around the porch and it's amazing. I would not quite blame the radio yet. The cheaper option is adding or upgrading antennas, and just wait for the SFI to increase and sunspots to return.[​IMG]

5. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

This solar minimum is depressing.

I had a long QSO with a guy in Ohio yesterday, and it definitely wasn't arm-chair; a lot of QRN, some QRM and QSB going on. Damnit. I shouldn't have to work that hard for an Ohio QSO. :D

6. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am still trying to confirm DE, MD, and NJ on 40, and they are all just 60 miles from here.[​IMG]

7. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

My QSO to Ohio was on 40m yesterday, and that was around noon. Surprised the heck out of me.

I'm surprised you still haven't been able to confirm those 3 states.

8. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

DE is a tough one, there are only 1500 licensed hams there, and fewer than 600 active, when you break down the license classes, there are about 250 or so licensed for HF. It just starts looking bleak.

I think I am going to make a trip to my cousins place right near U of Del and set up for a day and help some people get that state confirmed.[​IMG]

9. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

DE I can understand, but NJ and MD is a surprise. Every time I call CQ on 40, it seems I always end up getting someone from those two states.

How's this for irony. I haven't confirmed anyone from PA yet. ;)

10. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me know if you want PA. I also just got set up with LoTW, really only for contests and the DE trip. I just really like the cards[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.