Miracle Contacts on CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, May 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

My first QSO was a miracle !
    August 1961,
    I was a high school kid with a home brew transmitter with one tube, on 80 M, with a dipole fed with lamp cord balanced line, SWL low end receiver. Just got the Novice Ticket in the mail,
    I Knew a ham who was a year older in the next suburb. Got him on the telephone and asked him to listen for me. Ran into the other room and Called him and ran back from the other room, to the telephone to see if he heard me !
    Eventually we hung up land-line and had a halting CW QSO !
    My first DX ? 5 miles !

N7BKV, W5BIB and KA2CZU like this.
  2. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

So last night between 0300 and 0500z I was working 40m with my QCX-40. All of about 7 watts. Band was quiet after all the sprints and contests. I worked a station in the PNW almost 700 miles away that reported my signal as 449. That was great. Made some more CQ's. But it was quiet. Got a lot of RBN spots from Texas and Canada out 1000 to 1300 miles reporting 11 to 12 dB.

Then BAM! A spot from CX6VM at 12 dB. That is Uruguay, 6440 miles away! Thought a first is was a RBN computer scramble. Changed frq. Again a spot from CX6VM at 11 dB. Changed frq again. CX6VM spotted me again! That's three times on three frequencies within about half an hour. I confirmed that CX6VM was on the list of active skimmers. Yep.

My grid is CM97vu. My dipole is axial at 99 degrees magnetic. Seems like everything lined up and the band opened for South America.

Just wish it was a QSO! But 6440 miles on 7 watts is exciting, nonetheless.

3. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Late one nite, operating from T32 (Christmas Island, Kiribati), I had been up all nite working endless JA’s on 40 meters. Decided to try something different. Rig was an FT-1000, loaned to me by T32O, antenna was a ground mounted multiband vertical, I think it was a Cushcraft AP-8A. I loosened the PL-259 so that it was feeding only the center conductor. Switched to 160 meters. By some miracle, the FT-1000 auto tuner tuned it right up. Put out a couple of CQ’s. A weak signal came back. Through the noise I copied R 1 F J L. Franz Josef Land. I was quite amazed. That would have been a tough QSO even with a proper antenna.

4. WB4BIN

WB4BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

When the conditions were just right one day, I got lucky and worked both Mauritius (10651 miles), and Rodriguez I (10930 miles) within 9 minutes. I had all 100 watts going for me, but the miraculous part, is that my antenna is a simple dipole, about 15 feet above the ground, in my attic.