ad: elecraft

Miracle Contacts on CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, May 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most recently S01WS .. Western Sahara,,, Caught them on the first CQ on 17M.. 75W on a end fed wire ... big pileup ensued and I probably would have never made it once it started.

K7TRF, AD5HR, KA2CZU and 1 other person like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Those are the BEST!! I've had a few over the years - the "first ham to hear the DX CQ" - great spot to be :)

Dave
    W7UUU

WR2E likes this.
  3. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

For me, it would be banging out a CW CQ a couple of years ago on 40m using a Hallicrafters HT-40 transmitter (maybe 35w out) to a low dipole. So far not so amazing. But I was listening on a Heathkit HR-10B receiver and heard an op in Sweden answering me. We had a brief but very solid QSO. Anyone who has ever used an HR-10B on CW knows what a miracle this was ...

N3PDT, W0AQ, AD5HR and 1 other person like this.
  4. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed, and maybe it's dumb luck but I've had a lot more of these when working CW than SSB and that's not with any fancy panadapter CW skimmers or anything, just tuning around the band.

KC2SIZ and KN4ICU like this.
  5. N7YCC

N7YCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a CW contact in Alaska a few years back, had a nice chat. I'm too lazy to dig out the card so I can't tell you the callsign right now. "What's the miracle?", you ask.

On the QSL card is written something like:

Thanks for the QSO. Really enjoyed... blah... blah...
    ** "You're a great conversationalist" **

I'm more proud of that QSL card than any other.

KE4OH, W0AQ and KN4ICU like this.
  6. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was so happy when I got mine. QTH was over 4000 miles away, and I was sitting at my little desk with my wire off the deck. Occurrences like this is why I would happily encourage any Tech to learn CW. It's worth it.

N7BKV likes this.
  7. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Top of my list was an FT8??? , Maurice, a radioman on a French Antarctic expedition. They were dug-in, waiting for a weather window to continue their expedition and he was passing time with the radio. This contact was on the (brand-new at the time) 30 meter band, and he was calling CW on one of two crystal frequencies for my Army surplus GRC-109. Antenna was a home brew halfsquare made from electrical tubing. The GRC109 put out maybe 12-15 Watts (down hill with a tail wind.) The receiver is a single-conversion superhet with VERY wide bandwidth.

HF Radio is amazing and CW is a 'system gain multiplier'.

73 de Ray ..._ ._

>> This is information on the the GRC-109: https://people.csail.mit.edu/sw/html/NS1W/GRC-109.html

W0AQ and N7BKV like this.
  8. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

So, Ray...did this GRC 109A come with a parachute? Did you parachute into summer camp with it wearing camo gear? :)

I like it!

Brian N
    N7BKV

9. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

A KH6 on 10M, using an FT817 @ 2-3W and a Miracle Whip antenna, a JA with 1W and a 5BTV up 6 feet on a chainlink fence post and a ZL on 40 with 5W and a dipole at 20 ft.
    Ain't the best I'm sure, but I got a kick outta them.
    Mike N3PM

N7BKV likes this.
  10. K6BFL

K6BFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on a SOTA With my FT817nd running 5 watts and an inverted vee and I talked to Slovenia. It took me only 3 tries. That is the farthest qrp.