ad: GNOHF-1

Miracle Contacts on CW

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KN4ICU, May 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KN4ICU

KN4ICU Ham Member QRZ Page

What are some "miracle" contacts you've made on CW (not the most ideal set up, but got a great contact).???

I don't have the best antenna. Just a 33ft end fed wire.. 10 feet is up vertical near the house. The rest of it goes diagonally to a tree at about 35 ft up. I managed to make a contact in North Pole, Alaska on that (got the QSL card this week!).

I don't know how, but I'm hoping to hit Hawaii sometime (I really would like to work all 50 states on CW while a Tech...Seems like a fun goal...If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.).

W0AQ, KA0HCP and W1TRY like this.
  2. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I took my QRP Labs QCX (5w) on a business trip in New York in case I had some free time. Last night there I draped 40m worth of dipole wire around the 'Faraday Cage" of a hotel room I had on the 20'ish floor. Called CQ and made about 10 QSO's! I think the farthest distance was 8 miles!

Not what I would call DX, but it was a great experience.

NG9F likes this.
  3. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was calling CQ on 40 last night, and hit a guy on the other side of my town! Last month I did a SOTA activation in MN and hit England, Belgium, Slovak Republic, and Germany. All with 10 watts and my end fed wire on my KX2.

4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

New Zealand multiple contacts back in 2015 on 10M. Other DX too though that is the farthest from Virginia.

5. HB9FXW

HB9FXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Each QSO is a miracle with my antenna. I was ecstatic when I got several Brazilian stations in a row, or when I got Mongolia on the first try, or chatted with a Chilean OM for a few minutes. I'm still grateful for any contact, no matter how close or common they are.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Mine would be RI1ANC at Vostok Base, Antarctica... probably a 30 WPM contact and my first from Antarctica - I thought his sending seemed really sloppy until I realized that all the "hops" it takes to get a signal from there to here would naturally distort the signal in the "time realm" and mess with the timing of the dits and dahs!

I'm still amazed to have worked Antarctica with "100 watts and a wire" at the time

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2CZU likes this.
  7. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

About 25 years ago, I was tuning around the 40 meter Novice band. It was early evening and the band was absolutely dead. Not a single signal. Granted, the sun was still up, so I didn't expect much. I tried a few CQs but no response. Then, all of a sudden, I hear a nice strong signal. It wasn't a CQ, so I thought I would just listen a while.

The code was slow, but well done and easy to read. As I listened, the operator was sending "hello is anybody out there can anyone hear me this is XXXXX". There would be a short pause and the operator would send the same thing again. Apparently, the operator didn't know how to send a CQ. So I zero beat him and gave him a call. He came right back to me. He was thrilled that someone answered him because, it was his first contact. We only talked for a short time because he was as exhausted as he was excited. So we said 73 and once again, the band was quiet.

I guess that was a miracle contact on both sides.

8. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

My "miracle" contact was with BS7H just at sunrise on 40 M.
    Antenna was my 80M. loop way up at 25 feet.
    I'm sure the SB-221 helped, but you have to hear them to work them.
    Of course I was 599 into Scarborough Reef?

9. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait until some night when the signals from Europe on 40m are still coming in nice and loud as late as 0200z or so. After a while you will start to hear Africans coming in if there are any on the air. That's a good sign. Keep listening and sometime around 0300-0500z if the band is still going strong you will hear Hawaii start to roll in.

I have mediocre antennas, too. When I don't hear Europe well when the band first opens up, I rarely hear anything worthwhile later, but there are always exceptions. What I often do hear during these times is others with better antennas working DX I can't hear or can't hear me or both.

M6GYU and KN4ICU like this.
  10. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll go with V84SAA on 80m CW, 9,398 miles from here. 100 watts plus my horizontal loop. It is a little longer, 350 feet, than a full wave on the bottom of 80m, 287 feet, so I don't think it should have much in the way of favorable lobes. It is up 60 feet, which I suppose doesn't hurt anything. Also, worked them on 40m CW with the same loop + 100 watts.

AD5HR likes this.