Miracle Antenna Mixed Mode Dipole

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AD4ZU, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

www.miracleantenna.com

I've used the 20M MMD backpack portable with average apex heights ranging between 18-25'. With this antenna, an 857D and a small motorcycle battery, I've worked Germany, Cuba, Florida, Indiana, Wyoming, California and Colorado from hilltops in Connecticut. Signal reports, even when the antenna was broadside to the opposite direction, have been impressive for low power operation. SWR has been nil according to my 857D, and it's nice to work portable without a tuner. The MMD would be an excellent choice for any restricted hams. It is well constructed and truly "plug and play". Robert Victor at the company was a pleasure to deal with. I got what I paid for with it and highly recommend it. 73 KB1RXA

2. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

An Update to the MMD from Miracle Antenna

I worked Moscow today, portable from Connecticut, with 30W and the other station pulled me out of a pileup. He was amazed at what I was running in the woods of Connecticut. I have had the antenna less than a week. PSE see my prior post. This thing works. 73, KB1RXA

3. WB0SND

WB0SND XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Too bad they're so expensive. North of 100 bucks for one band is pretty spendy. But, they do appear to work well...... How high up did you guys have them?

4. K5RIX

K5RIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sleeve Dipole?

I think you can build one of these with coax, wire, a connector, and some ferrite beads. Of course I could be wrong, but the "Current Mode Discriminator" looks to be a common mode choke. It's kind of like calling a straight key an "Electromagnetic Force Pulse Gate". Nonetheless, it's a great concept that I'm going to exploit in my weird antenna space. See the book "Simple, Low-Cost Wire Antennas For Radio Amateurs" by William I. Orr and Stuart D. Cowan; 1972; published by Radio Publications, Inc.; pages 113-115. 73 Ric

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. K5RIX

K5RIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sleeve Dipole?

This post entered in error. Please delete. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  6. KC0QIT

KC0QIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Miracle MMD-30 Purchase

I am interested in the MMD-30, because it's the only antenna offered which brings the 40Metre band {with a tuner} into play @ only 46ft. long! In fact, the MMD-30 antenna is the only item which offers 40 to 10 Metre bands at a length of 46 feet. I intend to use this antenna as a "stealth" antenna from my Ham Hostle HUD QTH.

If any Ham has bought any of these "end-fed dipole" configurations, please
    E-mail me at: kc0qit@gmail.com Later this month, I'll be buying the MMD-30
    for use at my QTH, where it will be susspend from my 12th. story level.

73 KC0QIT
    "General AL"

7. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've made my own versions of these and they work fine as single-banders. I'd treat with a pinch of salt any claim that they are multiband.

At the design frequency it's a half-wave dipole fed at the centre with RG174. I'll leave you to work out what the losses in the RG174 are if you happen to use it at twice the design frequency ;)

Steve G3TXQ

8. KA2ZEY

KA2ZEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using the MMD 20 with my Elecraft KX-1 running about 3 watts (with PS). I've had some good results operating out of my Brooklyn backyard surrounded by 3 and 4 story buildings. I've hit MN, MO, IL, WI, FL and Hungary! I can get a great SWR reading for 30 but not on 40 with the KX-1 Autotuner. The 40m SWR is 3.7:1

9. G3TXQ

G3TXQ Ham Member QRZ Page

That shouldn't be a surprise. It's a 20m half-wave dipole fed with 33ft of RG174 coax. On 40m - half its design frequency - the VSWR is 1400:1 and the coax losses are about 22dB.

Despite the coax losses, the tuner still sees a tough impedance to match.

Steve G3TXQ

10. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Their products do a good job of what they're offered to do. I haven't used this one, but I've got a Miracle Ducker and a Q-Pack balanced tuner. The Miracle Ducker does a really good job of making the HF part of my 'F6A actually work. I haven't had a chance to use the Q-Pack on the air yet...but it's there when I get the time to pack my '817 somewhere. That's a pretty innovative design & it tunes smoothly and stable-ly. Had an email exchange with the guy running the show there and then talked to him on the phone when I ordered the Q-Pack and he's a really good guy.

Oh, and BTW...when I was in LA, I worked a JA in the DX contest on 15 with my '817 & Miracle Ducker tuning a random dipole quickly strung up in the room. (He must've had a massive antenna!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.