"MINT" Radio With The Golden Screwdriver Treatment?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4GKS, Jan 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone have some good stories to tell about the time you bought that one great radio, only to find out the dreaded truth?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope.

I try out anything before I buy it.

W2TXB likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

My biggest disappointments buying "that one great radio" were with the manufacturers, not so much the radio. The issues with the radios themselves were (or at least should have been) relatively minor. The support people however...

N4GKS likes this.
  4. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Not a surprise. I was given a Uniden HR-2510, for the cost of mailing, that did not work. Fortunately, the original owner had just tried to align the unit for more power output (a CBer). A complete alignment and the unit worked perfectly.

Of course the modification to take the unit down to 26.0 MHz had been made. However, as long as I don't transmit, into an antenna, below 28.0 MHz the unit is perfectly legal to use. That HR-2510 is now the i.f. for my 432 MHz transverter and gives me coverage from 430 MHz to 433.6669 MHz.

A good deal for less than $10.00!

Glen, K9STH

KK5JY likes this.
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

...I wish I had bought one of those new when that was still possible...

6. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I did purchase my first HR-2510 new. In fact, at the time, I was authorizing the purchase of Uniden two-way FM radios in like 50 and 100 quantities. At the time, the Uniden USA headquarters was at the south end of the Dallas / Fort Worth International Airport. I got one of the vice presidents to order one for me. However, I wanted the HR-2600 because of the FM repeater offset. But, the technical people refused to sell me one of the HR-2600 because they said the receiver was just plain crap! However, the HR-2510 was a darned good unit. I ended up paying a whole lot less than what the dealers were selling the HR-2510 for.

My original HR-2510 was built in the Philippines and not in Taiwan, China, or Japan. The second unit was built in Taiwan.

Glen, K9STH

KK5JY likes this.
  7. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I started out all the hams I knew or came in contact with were very honest, and technically competent. So never had that problem. Later in life I could afford to buy new, so again...never had the problem.

However I can see that happening..especially today.

8. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess you don’t buy new.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Once had a dealer sell me a “new” dual band Alinco rig, only to find cut wires and an obviously previous used rig inside.

Called them up, they insisted I was mistaken. So I asked “how good a customer is WA0xxx?” “Why the (heck) would you ask that?” “Because he wrote his name and call on the inside of this factory new, never before opened manual!”

They promised a partial refund, which I never got. Place went out of business shortly thereafter.

At least the rig worked perfectly!

N2EY likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

"He tightened all the loose screws"

N0NB likes this.