[Mini CW rant].... learn your own call sign please!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Feb 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I see what you did there

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yes, I would agree

Duuvi
    J8VVV

3. K6FNI

K6FNI Ham Member QRZ Page

When I hear some lid sending dit dit dit dit dit dah for the 4 in his call sign like I did today I don't bother replying to his CQ.

He was consistently making the same mistake so I assume he was using a memory keyer.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

And again, I rant, ( :rolleyes: ) if you cannot program your OWN CALL SIGN CORRECTLY INTO THE KEYER, you should NOT be trying to have a conversation on the air using Morse Code.

I too would not reply - just for the practical reason that I know he's not going to "hear a word I say" - only what his FLdigi program spits out or whatever

Dave
    W7UUU

KP4SX likes this.
  5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

P%OBABLY THA_ MHJ THING. I HAD MNE OF THOIE. IT WASNT EVE■ THIS GUD.

6. W7UUU

LOL!! EXACTLY!!!

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a Novice in the early 1970s, more than one station asked what kind of keyer I was using. I was using a straight key. I can thank my retired Navy Radioman for teaching me to send PERFECT Morse. He let me call him 'dad'. :)

vy 73 es gl,
    Bryan WA7PRC

W7UUU and KC9UDX like this.
  8. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Would "know coders" make that mistake?

9. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

With a straight key, I use my left hand. With a keyer or bug, I use my right hand. That makes it very easy to switch between them. At about 20-25 wpm, I did that between words and characters on Straight Key Night. Fun! ;):D

vy 73 es gl,
    Bryan WA7PRC

10. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ambidextrous CW...there should be an award for that. :)

WA7PRC and W7UUU like this.