[Mini CW rant].... learn your own call sign please!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Feb 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sure - no question. I've known a couple disabled CW ops... one was deaf and "felt the speaker cone" to copy code, and one a stroke victim. Still no reason to have an extra "dit" on your call sign number.... stored into a keyer and repeated for at least a year - every time it's sent. Neither did.

There's no excuse for repeatedly sending your call sign wrong in CW.

Dave
    W7UUU

KC9UDX likes this.
  2. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Rozer. I like it. Rozer.

In England, "rozzer" is a somewhat derogatory name for cop. As in, "The rozzers got him and took him off to jail."

Regarding the bad fist...you say he is using a keyboard...no wonder his sending is problematic...I can't type with my fist, either.

KD8EDC likes this.
  3. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Most likely, as others also point out. I have to admit it just takes too many tries on my QRP rig to get it right. Something very fussy about the timings. When I have time to play with it I will but for now it starts with .-.-. --.-

Steve JS6TMW

4. KV4RH

KV4RH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Odd cadence and extra dits.

Sounds like most bug ops.

5. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's see...If he is adding a dit that would make him a 6E. If it was a YL she could be very SIX-E indeed!
    FWIW if it's computer generated it's not CW...it's Morse by machine...might as well be sending baudot.

6. WN6U

WN6U Subscriber QRZ Page

[QUOTE="W7UUU, post: 3745767, member: 285785"]Yes. No computer program will send a bad "6"

He entered it in, by hand, into a computer-style keying device (MFJ, radio, computer program, whatever).

Rozer
    W7VVV[/QUOTE]

Dave, I've written a few "bad" computer programs. Just saying. ;)

KC9UDX likes this.
  7. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Agreed, I was just going to say that. I have worked a few ops who can't copy w/o a computer and if there's any QRM and/or QSB, the computer chokes. If you can't send by hand and copy by ear, DO SOMETHING ELSE like RTTY, PSK or what have you.

Learn the code or don't do it!

de NK2U

8. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, why do they have to do the code via computer then? Why can't they do RTTY and/or PSK?

de NK2U

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How would I know? It's not really any of my business to tell them they can't.

Maybe a guy can copy perfectly well but the only way he can send is by typing or speaking to the computer.

10. AA9G

AA9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok I would not begrudge someone with a disability using the computer to send. I think you would know that was the case when the band was crap and he is still copying you just fine.