[Mini CW rant].... learn your own call sign please!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W7UUU, Feb 11, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

As a very long-time CW guy I just don't get why someone wouldn't send their own call sign correctly!! :mad::(

[rant] There's a "6-land" station with over 17,200 lookups on QRZ (which suggests he's a fairly active op). I've heard him on a fair number of times on 40 and 20 CW - he was just now calling CQ on 40. He's clearly sending via computer, based on the really weird cadence of his CQ - it's just an odd timing of things over and over - same oddness on each go-round. And that's fine - nothing wrong if computer CW if that's what you do. I get that.

But then he signs his call - with ONE EXTRA DIT on the "6" - every time, without fail, every single time he's on the air. For those who don't do Morse, that's like saying/writing your name wrong every time! Like say your name is Roger and you always write or say Rozer - every time, without fail. And in a CQ, to say "hello this is Rozer Rozer Rozer - anyone looking to talk to Rozer" Another hint is his QSOs are never more than absolute basics. Which also is just fine - but there is ZERO excuse for having your call sign sent wrong over and over like that.

Just rubs me really the wrong way. We have a local repeater with a CW ID that has an extra "dit" in the "7" of the callsign. But even that I can give more of a pass I suppose - the repeater owner isn't a CW op. I get that.

But if you're ON THE AIR CALLING CQ IN MORSE VIA COMPUTER SENDING, please.... get your call sign right, OK? This isn't a one-off with this guy - he's been at this for at least a year that I'm aware of.

[\rant]

Dave
    W7UUU

[edit: I won't post his call but he's NEVER posted here so not "outing" anyone. If anyone wants to 'fact-check' me please PM and I'll share the call and you can listen for yourself on the bands]

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Lotsa guys with bad fists even after 40-50 years.

I don't know why.

Hey, 17m is wide open and just worked N7ET/DU7, JT1CO in Mongolia, et al...one CQ and made seven contacts with that one. All CW of course.

Make hay while the sun shines, don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff.

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't let the repeater owner off the hook.

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not sure, but if he is sending by computer, how did he get he get the extra dit added to the 6? Or did he use a key to create the keyer memory on the computer?

You are right, he should fix that.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually don't get that, but maybe that's just me.

The 'joy' of working CW is just that...a joy. It's a bit like building ships in a bottle. Most can't do this well, so it's an art. If you have to use a computer to send code, that seems just silly.

K4YND likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'd grant "bad fist" - but time after time over and over - the odd cadence clearly screams "this is a saved string that I entered by hand" - computer CW programs will NOT generate a defective "6". This guy entered that bad "6" into his keyer at least a year ago and has yet to catch it.

This is NOT "bad fist" - I know what that sounds like - I'm guilty of it myself after Guinness or two sometimes :rolleyes:

No, I don't see any valid excuse.

Dave
    W7UUU

[UDX: I've tried to locate the owner to give him a gentle reminder but his repeater info is very murky outside of basic FCC stuff - I have never found an email or working mailing address (I once sent a QSL card - never heard back)]

KA0HCP likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think I heard that exact same guy today. Probably NOT sending from a computer but programmed his call into the keyer of his rig and doesn't know CW well enough to recognize his error.

8. W7UUU

Yes. No computer program will send a bad "6"

He entered it in, by hand, into a computer-style keying device (MFJ, radio, computer program, whatever).

Rozer
    W7VVV

9. W7UUU

For at least a YEAR he's been on doing this!!

Davvve
    W8UUU

10. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Beat me to it.