Military Recreation Station vs Club Station

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by KC8SIR, Nov 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC8SIR

    KC8SIR Ham Member QRZ Page

    I have been looking over the internet and I am a little confused at the differences and my needs.

    The Military Recreation Station descriptions say that it is a license grant to ONE individual.

    A club station license would cover all individuals during an event.

    Will an MRS cover all individuals participating with the club, or just the one individual?

    What I am trying accomplish is this:

    I am in the 2nd Naval Expeditionary Communications Detachment, and we are trying to work towards a MARS station in steps, as our time and commitments may be limited for a a year or two. We would like to augment some of our training such as antenna and radio setup, teach propagation principals. Also to create interest in our mission, our unit, to recruit new members to our unit, the Navy, to allow civilians to join us for some of our events and to increase unit morale and readiness.

    Why would we want to do this in an Amateur fashion? Simple. We are a small unit comprising of less than a dozen people, which amounts to two teams. We are geographically separated from our Regiment, and we are Reservists, limiting our available time. In order for us to pull our comms gear out and use it on military freqs, we have to get proper approval, and our chances of getting a response such as a signal report is slim to none. That's not very fun, who wants to pull all that crap out, talk to someone on the other side of the building and pack it all right back up?

    My reasoning is that we could operate in sort of a contesting operating condition, whereas we give our call, location and power, receive a response and signal report and log the contact, end of contact. This would allow us to demonstrate and practice different setups and have fun doing it (actually getting a contact).

    My Chief Petty Officers think it is the greatest idea ever. I would be designated a trustee as I am the only licensed (General class)member of the unit.

    My last question, if we are to apply as a club, will we still need the charter, minutes, bylaws, etc if we are a Government entity?

    Thank you guys in advance,

    IT3 Daniel Via
    NOSC Eleanor
    as KC8SIR
  2. ND6M

    ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

    actually, the person named on the rec STATION grant doesn't need a license at all. 97.5 (3)

    I think you will be best served with a club license with you as the TRUSTEE 97.5 (2). the club paperwork is not difficult to comply with.
  3. KL7AJ

    KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    I would generally concur with this. Although with an MRC, you might be able to get a cooler military type callsign....not quite sure on this.

  4. KL7AJ

    KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Hi again Daniel:

    Depending your your activity, you still may want to pursue a MARS station. I was SMD for Alaska for many years during the 90s, but AF Mars activity fizzled to just about nothing, so now I'm in NAVY/MARINE MARS, which is a lot more active here. However, in your bailiwick, there might be still significant MARS activity. As a MARS station you do have more access to some prime HF real estate, as well as more legal power...which can come in handy.
    So, I'd actually pursue both in your MRS to get up and running and full fledged MARS when you can.

  5. W3WN

    W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Is the FCC still issuing or renewing Military Rec stations?

    Anytime I hear of one anymore, it's usually about to be shut down, or has been for some time, or been transitioned to a similar-named A R C.
  6. KC8SIR

    KC8SIR Ham Member QRZ Page

    Thank you for the replies.

    I was leaning toward a club license as I know for certain about it.

    With an MRC I am just concerned with all members being covered during operations, because as I mentioned, I am the only member of the unit that has a license. This is because everywhere I have looked, it just mentions an individual.

    How picky are they about bylaws, charter, etc?
  7. ND6M

    ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

  8. KC8SIR

    KC8SIR Ham Member QRZ Page

    Again, thank you all for helping.

    I believe we will go for the club station. I am getting together all the DOD directives, the NTP 8, all publications and forms that I will need to support my presentation.

    Will be presenting this to the commanding officer and command master chief this upcoming weekend. Will let you all know the outcome.

    This will just be step one toward getting set up for MARS. With only about 6 people in the unit, we will definitely need civilian volunteers to help with the requirements unless they waive us of those due to our Reserve status.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page