MIG welding wire for antenna?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KD0FBK, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KD0FBK

KD0FBK Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone ever tried using wire from a wire feed welder for antenna wire?

Variety of sizes .024", .035", .045", .063". You can get with copper on it as a rust inhibitor, so copper coated steel. Literally 1000's of feet on one roll 50# roll will run some where around $200. Should have a fairly high tensile strength and fairly light weight.

What on your thoughts on this?

2. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member QRZ Page

The wire welding wire I tried to use rusts all up in less than 1 year. It has a copper flash as a rust inhibitor. It is NOT copper weld.

I suggest you take a chunk and lay it outside for a while, you will see what I mean. here in Georgia I have to store my mig welding wire in a refrigerator to prevent rust. Being indoors is not enough.

73 Tom

3. KD0FBK

I kinda wondered how it was applied and if that would happen. At the rate we use it, it never has time to rust!

4. KD0FBK

Anyone tried using stainless mig wire?

5. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure - it's a regular question.

Challenges are attaching the feedline as well as getting it to be straight. Electrically, it's not perfect, but it should work fine if it's the best you can afford.

6. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are trying do it cheap then try electric fence wire. A lot cheaper than MIG wire and wont rust.

7. KD0FBK

MIG wire for me is free. I was also wondering about power handling issues? I would only be at 100w which I know would be fine. What about 1500w?

8. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're not interested in anything more than a temporary antenna, and don't mind replacing your antenna often, then use your free MIG wire at whatever power level that you like.

W8JI had better MIG wire than I did. ;-) The MIG wire I had didn't last anywhere near a year.

9. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I made a horizontal loop around my house with sainless .045 wire and had poor results. It touches the roof shingles in two places though so it is far from ideal. I made mecahnical crimp connections to the coax with good results. More experimenting when it gets cooler out !

10. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

I go camping several times a year in the National Radio Quiet Zone, I install a approx 600' loop of .035 mig wire.

Shout out to the Easy Hang slingshot- it's the way to go.!

It is a fantastic, inexpensive, TEMPORARY antenna wire.

I think the wire costs me something like 2 dollars a antenna, when the weekend is over it is not a strain on the wallet to collect the wire and discard it.

I read somewhere than regulation "Copperweld" antenna wire is 40% copper, for a permanent antenna it is only a few $$ more.

Rege

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.