ad: Flexradio-1

Middle name instead of first

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by W3SKY, Mar 18, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W3SKY

W3SKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I grew up using my middle name, and now the FCC shows my legal name starting with my first. Anyway, can I use my middle name as my contact info everywhere where my call sign is shown?

N4FZ likes this.
  2. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes you can, GL and 73

3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. Not to mention my first name is sort of a nasty word in Spanish if it's spelled with a tilde over the n.

What I did was request that the name on my license be modified to show my first initial followed by my second name. Yes, my parents named me with two names on my birth certificate because they knew I'd hate the first one. No foolin'. So in the FCC database I am shown by first initial, second name, surname, which got anglicized somewhere along the line when the apostrophe was removed between the D and the A. I just can't win.

The result of this is that under "Special Conditions" it states: "Special Condition for AU/name change (6/4/2016): Grant of the request to update licensee name is conditioned on it not reflecting an assignment or transfer of control (see Rule 1.948); if an assignment or transfer occurred without proper notification or FCC approval, the grant is void and the station is licensed under the prior name. "

Benefit is that my first name was expunged from the record, but of course is available if one wanted to research it. It saves me, though, from someone who looks me up in the current database from using the dreaded "C word" to address me at the start of the QSO.

It would be nice if QRZ would allow us to modify that data instead of allowing us to use a nickname.

W3SKY likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Just file an "administrative change" and update it to what you want it be.

Perfectly legal

Dave
    W7UUU

W3SKY likes this.