ad: w5yi

mid-term appraisla of Firefox

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W1GUH, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. AK7V

AK7V Ham Member QRZ Page

I like it, too, but I recently switched back to Opera. On my old computer, it's way way faster and requires much less memory than FF.

2. N0HR

N0HR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that Opera is a decent browser on dated/undersized PCs. In fact, I've been trying a version of Opera that runs on my Cingular 8120 PDA phone. It runs better than IE in many ways on that platform.

However, on the PC, if you have the horsepower, I'd definitely use Firefox. Ok, as the author of Propfire - the Firefox Radio Propagation Plugin, I might be a tad bit biased.

However, there are other reasons to use Firefox. Here are a few that I've tried:

http://425.ourtoolbar.com/ (swiss army knife toolbar for FF and IE for ham radio - includes a link to my DXpedition Map)

Foxclocks Clocks (including GMT) in the status bar.

Give Firefox a shot.

3. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're running Windows and want a fast browser...you might want to have a look at K-Meleon. It's based on the same Gecko rendering engine as Firefox, SeaMonkey, Netscape etc. but is incredibly fast...even faster than Opera.

However you don't have all of the "extensions" that are available for Firefox.

4. AK7V

AK7V Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that with a fast computer, Firefox is the best. It's even _pretty_ good on my old 600MHz, 256Meg RAM notebook (especially if I use a lightweight window manager like fluxbox). But Opera is a lot "snappier" on this machine.

If/When I get a newer and faster computer, I'm sure I'll go back to Firefox as a default. I have an idea for a FF plugin I'd like to write for it but I haven't gotten into the programming of them yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.