mid-term appraisla of Firefox

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by W1GUH, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using firefox for about six months now, and I like it more everytime I use it.

It has never crashed, and it coexsits beautifully with windows.  It once "forgot" all my bookmarks, but only once, and there was something going on with my computer (maybe an windows update) that could have been the real cause.

Otherwise, it's been just fine.

Most likable features:

Downloads are significantly faster than Windows.  (What is windows doing that slows down downloads so much?)  Plus, you can load it up with jobs and it'll do them all automatically.  (As opposed to IE, that will only let you set up 2 jobs at a time).

Real time spell checking.

Updates are automatic and benign.

I comes up quick.

In short, IMHO, it's a great product.

Further...when I travel I'm stuck with my work computer (Ugh!), and I can't put Firefox on it. I'm getting to hate IE!

2. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

I like it too, but the automatic update "feature" drives me nuts. Sometimes I DON'T WANT to update! And lately, after an "update" they added a "feature" that insists on telling me that I exited FF uncleanly and asks if I want restore my previous session or start a new one.

That said, it works a whole lot better and is a whole lot safer than IE. But, if you really want to see it in action, try running it under Linux! Up to about 16 download chanels open at once for each copy of FF, and you can run multiple copies! (Strikes me as excessive, but cool if you had the bandwidth. [​IMG] )

3. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't take much effort to write software that outperforms Windows.

Keep in mind that Firefox is a direct descendent of Mozilla and Netscape (commercial) webbrowser that was the KING before IE was force-fed to Windows users.

And Firefox is also available for Linux, which should make the leap to a REAL operating system a bit easier.

Gary WA7KKP

4. N1MLF

N1MLF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been running FF for a little over a year and am very impressed with it's abilities over other browsers.
    I recommend getting the Greasemonkey add on..
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/748
    This allows you to customize how pages from particular sources display.. It can cut the ads, banners, flash etc or be bypassed as you wish.. Great ad on..

Also FF has a user configurable menu that most others fail to provide.. Check out:
    http://www.tweakfirefox.com/tweaks.php
    All the tweaks are done in the address bar and have no other effects on the OS.
    So I'll give Firefox a +100.

73 JW

5. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no IE for OS/2 (thank God), so FF is the winner by default. [​IMG]

6. AB1N

AB1N Ham Member QRZ Page

You can control the automatic updates in the Options as seen here. Just change it to "ask me what I want to do." [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. N0HR

N0HR Ham Member QRZ Page

8. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

There's no longer any really important reason for ham radio operators to use I.E.

But...thanks to folks like Pat N0HR there are plenty of reasons for hams to use Firefox!

9. KC7UP

KC7UP Ham Member QRZ Page

N0hr
    You download site doesn't respond.
    Curt

Sorry the mistake was mine. I did not see my notice to allow it to be installed.
    Curt

10. KX8C

KX8C QRZ Lifetime Member #153 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Been using it since it was available, love it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.