Microsoft will be shipping a Linux kernel with Windows

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, May 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No way! That's what sudo is for. Even if it means "sudo su -" to become root after logging in rather than running a command as root.

I always disable sshd from allowing root to login as one of the very first actions I take on a new box. (if it's not already) The most common brute force login attempts are made against use root. I run denyhosts to block any IP that attempts to login with root on the first attempt also.

Also, never use david, bob, jim, or whatever else as a username. Those are the second most common brute force attacks. First initial last name is far safer because there are infanitely more combinations that a brute force hacker would have to try on top of all the password attempts.

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a legitimate concern with both companies. I've got an Oracle Linux machine here for development work, and it's a decent OS.... I've got no problem with it. But I do foresee a time when the OpenSource Movement has been gobbled up by big companies and the code gets monetized without compensation to the thousands of contributors. It concerns me too. That's why I have a huge collection of source code. It's my Ark.

K1SZO likes this.
  3. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

agreed.... but then again, if a machine not part of an external network (like the Internet), it's very hard to hack.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Really. You have to change your name ?

If your name is Root you may want to change it to RoOt.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WGates was taken.

6. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

That's probably all good stuff but one of the most important things you should do is disable SSH login by password. Using a key should be only way.

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yep - it's "WGates" and "password123"

:D

Dave
    W7UUU

KK5JY likes this.
  8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

You forgot the capital P.:confused:

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Oh! Right! Now it's secure :D

Dave
    W7UUU

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

How about "whatever" and "else?":confused::rolleyes: